USS Ringgold (DD-89)/ HMS Newark

USS Ringgold (DD-89)/ HMS Newark

USS Ringgold (DD-89)/ HMS Newark

USS Ringgold (DD-89) was a Wickes class destroyer that was commissioned too late to see service in the First World War, but that served with the Royal Navy in the Second World War as HMS Newark.

The Ringgold was named after Rear Admiral Cadwallader Ringgold, a US Naval officer who fought against pirates in the West Indies, took part in the Wilkes Expedition (1838-42) and served during the Civil War.

The Ringgold was built by the Union Iron Works of San Francisco. She was launched on 14 April 1918 and commissioned on 14 November 1918, three days after the Armistice. Four days later she left Mare Island at the start of a voyage to the East Coast to join the Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet. She reached Hampton Roads on 5 December 1918, and over the next four years operated along the US East Coast. For most of this time she was based at Newport, Rhode Island.

On 5 April 1922 she entered Philadelphia Navy Yard, and on 17 June 1922 she was decommissioned and placed into the reserve.

As HMS Newark

In 1940 the Ringgold was chosen as one of the fifty destroyers that were transferred to Britain under the Destroyers for Bases deal. She was recommissioned on 23 August 1940 and given an overhaul before moving to Halifax. On 26 November 1940 she was officially handed over to a Canadian care and maintenance party, and on 5 December 1940 she was commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Newark, with Lt Commander R.H.W. Atkins in command.

Her transfer to Britain didn't go smoothly. On 9 December 1940 she collided with HMS Newmarket (USS Robinson DD-88), and suffered damage that needed repairs in Canada. She left Halifax on 4 February 1941, but developed engine trouble in a gale and had to be towed back to Halifax. After a second set of repairs she left Halifax again on 26 February and finally reached Belfast on 5 March.

The Newark joined the 17th Destroyer Division. She was used to escort the 1st Minelaying Division in the Irish Sea and on the ferry route to Iceland. On the night of 4-5 May 1941 she was damaged during a bombing raid on Belfast, and required repairs that kept her out of action until August. On 25 August 1941, while operating with the minelayer HMS Southern Prince, she was hit by a torpedo that struck her forward. She was able to return to Belfast, and underwent more repairs.

The Newark returned to service in May 1942 and rejoined the 17th Destroyer Division. This time her return to service was more fortunate, and on 31 May 1942 she probably damaged a U-boat while operating south of Iceland.

On 20 August 1942 a PBY Catalina from Patrol Squadron VP-73 attacked U-464, a Type XIV Milch Cow (supply submarine) and caused damage that prevented her from submerging. Kapitänleutnant Harms and 51 crewmen were rescued by an Icelandic trawler, and then picked up by the destroyers HMS Newark and HMS Castleton (both former US destroyers).

In 1944 the Newark joined the Rosyth Escort Force, and carried out antisubmarine duties in the North Sea and to the north of the British Isles. In January 1945 she became an aircraft target ship.

The Newark was sold for scrap on 18 February 1947 and was broken up by Maclellan at Borrowstounness (also known as Bo'ness), on the Firth of Forth east of Edinburgh.

Displacement (standard)

Displacement (loaded)

Top Speed

35kts design
34.81kts at 27,350shp at 1,236t on trial (Kimberly)


2 shaft Parsons turbines
4 boilers
27,000shp design


2,500nm at 20kts (design)

Armour - belt

- deck


314ft 4.5in


30ft 11.5in


Four 4in/ 50 guns
Twelve 21in torpedo tubes in four triple mountings
Two 1-pounder AA guns
Two depth charge tracks

Crew complement



14 April 1918


14 November 1918

To Royal Navy

26 November 1940

Sold for scrap

18 February 1947

USS Ringgold (DD-89)/ HMS Newark - History

Tillman I (DD-135: dp. 1,090, 1. 314'4Y2", b. 31'8", dr. 9'8Y4" (aft) s. 35 k., cpl. 122, a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt., 2 dct. cl. Wickes ) The first Tillman (Destroyer No. 135) was laid down on 29 July 1918 by the Charleston (S.C.) Navy Yard launched on 7 July 1918 sponsored by Miss Mary Y. Tillman, the granddaughter of Senator Tillman, reclassified DD-1S5 on 17 July 1920, during the Navywide assignment of alphanumeric hull numbers, and commissioned on 10 April 1921, Lt. Louis R. Vail in command. Following shakedown, Tillman operated out of Charleston with Division 20, Squadron 9, Destroyer Flotilla 1, Atlantic Fleet, until the summer of 1921. Operating with half of her normal complement by the following winter, the destroyer trained and cruised with Division 33, Squadron 8, Atlantic Fleet Destroyer Squadrons into the spring of 1922. Soon thereafter, T

llman was decommissioned on 3 July 1922 and laid up at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. After almost eight years of inactivity, Tillman was placed back in commission at Philadelphia on 1 May 1930, Lt. Comdr. Alfred Y. Lanphier in command. Returning to Charleston, the destroyer operated with Division 23, Squadron 7, of the Scouting Fleet Destroyer Squadrons. Transferred to Division 48 by 1 January 1931, Tillman conducted training cruises for naval reserve trainees and NROTC midshipmen until late in the spring of 1933, when she shifted to Boston to train reservists and NROTC midshipmen of the 1st Naval District. As part of the Scouting Fleet Training Squadron, Tillman eventually returned to Charleston and alternated tours of active training duty with periods moored in "rotating reserve." On 1 January 1934, she returned to full-time active duty with the Training Squadron and resumed training cruises. The destroyer continued to alternate periods in the rotating reserve with assignments to training duty into the late 1930's. Later assigned to Destroyer Division (DesDiv) 29 of Destroyer Squadron (DesRon) 10, she worked out of Charleston and Boston, training reservists and NROTC midshipmen, participating in Fleet landing exercises in the Caribbean, conducting battle practices and drills and showing the flag at ports along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean. She continued this schedule until she was again decommissioned on 15 June 1939. Two and one-half months later, German forces attacked Poland, triggering World War II in Europe. Early in the spring of 1940, the tide turned against the Allies, as Germany launched a devastatingly successful blitzkrieg. In addition, German U-boats terrorized transatlantic convoys and took heavy tolls of merchantmen and escorts alike. By summer, Britain stood alone against Hitler, with only the English Channel between her and the hitherto victorious German legions. The Royal Navy's destroyer forces had taken a bad beating in the Atlantic, as well as in the Norwegian debacle and the evacuation of Dunkirk. At this point, the newly installed prime minister, Winston Churchill, appealed to President Franklin Roosevelt for help. Accordingly, on 23 July 1940, the two leaders agreed on a "destroyers for bases" exchange, whereby the United States would transfer 50 overaged flush-decked destroyers to the British in return for 99-year leases on sites for strategic bases in the Western Hemisphere. As one of the 50 ships, Tillman recommissioned at Philadelphia on 24 August 1940. About three months later, she moved up the coast to Halifax, Nova Scotia the transfer point for the "50 ships that saved the world." On 21 November 1940, she arrived at that port with the remainder of her division, DesDiv 72, the last group of ships to be turned over to the Royal and Royal Canadian Navies. Decommissioned on 26 November 1940, Tillman's name was struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1941. Commissioned in the Royal Navy as HMS Well`' (I.95) on 5 December 1940, the destroyer suffered damage on the 9th in a collision with sister ship HMS Newmarket (G.47), the former USS Robinson (DD-88). She was thus unable to sail for the British Isles until 4 February 1941. Getting underway on that date in company with HMS Newark (G.08), the former USS Ringgold (DD-89), Welle encountered a heavy gale in which she lost her topmast. Newark soon suffered engine failure and had to be towed back to Halifax. Welle eventually arrived in the United Kingdom and was soon assigned to the 17th Destroyer Division, which provided escorts for the 1st Minelaying Squadron. During this time, she carried out a number of mining operations off the western coast of Scotland. Between these operations, Wells escorted convoys to and from Iceland. On 10 June 1941, while operating south of this strategic isle, she attacked a U-boat but without success. Two days later, she encountered another U-boat and went to the attack, but the explosion of her own depth charges damaged her and forced her to give up the search. Following refitting at Hull, England, in the autumn of 1941, Welle returned to convoy escort duty. On 16 January 1942, she intercepted an SOS from SS fix. J. Cullen-an American merchantman which had run aground on the southeast side of Barra Island, in the outer Hebrides, west of Scotland. Heavy seas initially made launching a boat a virtual impossibility, but Wellz stood by until lifeboats and tugs arrived and transported the steamer's crew safely ashore. While escorting two transports later that spring, Wells and Brighton (I.08) (ex-USS Cowell (DD-167)) were bombed by German aircraft west of the Faroes, but escaped damage. During November, Wells conducted convoy escort operations with Convoy KX-6, supporting Operation "Torch," the invasion of North Africa, and returned to the United Kingdom in December with Convoy MKF to soon resume escort duties with Iceland-bound convoys. After serving another tour of convoy escort and minelaying escort duties, Welle was transferred to Rosyth in August 1943 and operated with the Rosyth Escort Force, screening coastwise convoys between the Firth of Forth and the Thames estuary. Early in 1945, after refitting at the Clyde in late 1944, she became a target ship for aircraft training with the Western Approaches Command, a role in which she served until reduced to reserve status at Greenock after World War II, in mid-1946. Decommissioned in July 1945, Wells was subsequently scrapped at Troon, Scotland, on 24 July 1945.

Spis treści

"Ringgold" opuścił Mare Island Navy Yard 18 listopada 1918 by dołączył Floty Atlantyku. Po przejściu przez Kanał Panamski okręt odwiedził Zatokę Guantanamo. Do Hampton Roads dotarł 5 grudnia 1918. Pływał w rejonie wschodniego wybrzeża USA do 1922. 5 kwietnia 1922 okręt wszedł do Philadelphia Navy Yard, gdzie został 17 czerwca 1922 wycofany ze służby i umieszczony w rezerwie.

Po okresie pozostawania poza służbą przez prawie dwie dekady, "Ringgold" został wstępnie przywrócony do służby 23 sierpnia 1940 by przygotować go do przekazania Wielkiej Brytanii w ramach umowy niszczyciele za bazy. Formalnie okręt przekazano Royal Navy 26 listopada 1940 w Halifax (Nowa Szkocja). Otrzymał nazwę HMS Newark. Został skreślony z listy jednostek floty US Navy 8 stycznia 1941.

Eskortował stawiacze min, został trafiony torpedą i lekko bombą lotniczą. Przeszedł modernizację, służył także jako okręt-cel dla samolotów.

Other expeditions

Ringgold was promoted to commander on July 16, 1849 and began the definitive survey of the San Francisco Bay region, suddenly important because of the discovery of gold in the area. The survey began in August 1849, with Ringgold commanding the chartered brig Col. Fremont. [4]

After the California surveys, Ringgold helped Navy officials pick a location for a dockyard for the Navy's Pacific station. It later became the Mare Island Navy Yard. Together with Commodore Matthew Perry and others, Ringgold served in August 1852 on the Board of Examination for midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. [4]

It may have been around this time that Ringgold acquired a bust of Whig politician Henry Clay, presumably out of admiration. [5]

In 1853 he took command of the North Pacific Exploring and Surveying Expedition, also known as the Rodgers-Ringgold Expedition, but while on the expedition, in July 1854, he became sick with malaria and was sent home, according to at least one source. [4] Nathaniel Philbrick, in his book Sea of Glory about the U.S. Exploring Expedition, writes that in the later expedition Ringgold "began to act strangely" once in China, keeping his ships in port "ceaselessly repairing his vessels". Commodore Perry, on his own expedition, sailed in and convened an official panel which relieved Ringgold from command of the expedition and sent him home. Philbrick quotes Perry as declaring Ringgold "insane." [6] John Rodgers was given full command of the expedition and completed it.

A board of naval doctors convened by Perry declared Ringgold unfit for active service, and he was put on the reserve list on September 13, 1855. Ringgold recovered within weeks, however, and soon petitioned Congress for his return. Unsuccessful there, he appealed to a Court of Inquiry, and eventually succeeded in returning to the active list on January 23, 1858, (retroactive to April 2, 1856), a campaign of more than two years. [4]

For the next several years, he was in Washington, D.C., working on the North Pacific Exploring and Surveying Expedition charts, some of which were later used by the U. S. Navy in World War II (charts from the United States Exploring Expedition were also used in that war). [4]

Civil War and after [ edit ]

Ringgold returned to the fleet with the rank of captain during the Civil War. While in command of the frigate Sabine on November 1, 1861, he effected the rescue of a battalion of 400 Marines from Maryland whose transport steamer, Governor, was sinking during a severe storm near Port Royal, South Carolina. Γ]

In February 1862, he was a part of the search and rescue of the ship of the line Vermont which had lost her rudder in a storm. For these rescues, Ringgold received commendations from the Maryland Legislature and the U.S. Congress, along with a gold medal from the Life Saving Benevolent Association. Γ]

Promoted to commodore on July 16, 1862, he was sent (still on the Sabine), to cruise the Azores, Cape Verde Islands, the coast of Brazil and then back to New York in a fruitless search for the Confederate raider CSS Alabama from November 1862 to February 1863. In mid-1863, Ringgold's assignment was to search (again unsuccessfully) in the vicinity of Bermuda and then the New England coast for the bark CSS Tacony, another Confederate raider. Γ]

For reasons of age, he was retired on August 20, 1864, and placed on the rear admiral (retired) list in 1866 (a promotion that was given to all commanders of squadrons). In retirement, he lived at 18 East Eighteenth Street (at Union Square) in New York City. Ringgold, who had never married, died of apoplexy (stroke) in New York on April 29, 1867. Γ]

Days later, as the Marine band played the "Dead March" from Saul, 400 Marines and carriages in the funeral cortege proceeded from Ringgold's residence down Broadway to Trinity Church. In attendance were Admirals Farragut, Bell, and Stringham, along with a number of generals. Ringgold's remains were taken by train to Green Mount Cemetery in Baltimore, where he lies next to the grave of his brother, Major Samuel Ringgold. Γ]

Mục lục

Tillman được đặt lườn vào ngày 29 tháng 7 năm 1918 tại Xưởng hải quân Charleston. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 7 tháng 7 năm 1919, được đỡ đầu bởi cô Mary Y. Tillman, cháu Nghị sĩ Tillman được xếp lại lớp với ký hiệu lườn DD–135 vào ngày 17 tháng 7 năm 1920, khi Hải quân Mỹ áp dụng cách đặt ký hiệu chữ số cho lườn tàu và được đưa ra hoạt động vào ngày 10 tháng 4 năm 1921 dưới quyền chỉ huy của Hạm trưởng, Trung úy Hải quân Louis R. Vail.

USS Tillman Sửa đổi

Sau khi hoàn tất việc chạy thử máy, Tillman hoạt động ngoài khơi Charleston cùng với Đội khu trục 20, Hải đội khu trục 9 trực thuộc Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương cho đến mùa Hè năm 1921. Hoạt động với biên chế thủy thủ đoàn giảm thiểu trong mùa Đông tiếp theo, nó thực hành huấn luyện và cơ động cùng Đội 23, Hải đội 8 cho đến mùa Xuân năm 1922. Không lâu sau đó, Tillman được cho xuất biên chế vào ngày 3 tháng 7 năm 1922 và đưa về Hạm đội Dự bị tại Xưởng hải quân Philadelphia.

Sau gần tám năm bỏ không, Tillman được nhập biên chế trở lại tại Philadelphia vào ngày 1 tháng 5 năm 1930 dưới quyền chỉ huy của Hạm trưởng, Thiếu tá Hải quân Alfred Y. Lanphier. Quay trở lại Charleston, nó hoạt động cùng Đội khu trục 23 thuộc Hải đội khu trục 7, trực thuộc Hạm đội Tuần tiễu. Được chuyển sang Đội 48 vào ngày 1 tháng 1 năm 1931, Tillman thực hiện các chuyến đi huấn luyện cho nhân sự Hải quân Dự bị cho đến mùa Xuân năm 1933, khi nó được điều đến Boston để huấn luyện học viên Hải quân Dự bị thuộc Quân khu Hải quân 1.

Trong thành phần Hải đội Huấn luyện của Hạm đội Tuần tiễu, Tillman quay trở lại Xưởng hải quân Charleston vào ngày 1 tháng 1 năm 1934, luân phiên những lượt hoạt động huấn luyện với những lượt neo đậu trong thành phần dự bị luân phiên cho đến cuối những năm 1930. Được điều động về Đội khu trục 29 thuộc Hải đội khu trục 10, nó hoạt động ngoài khơi Charleston và Boston, huấn luyện quân nhân dự bị và học viên sĩ quan, tham gia các cuộc thực tập đổ bộ hạm đội tại vùng biển Caribe, cũng như viếng thăm các cảng dọc bờ Đông và vùng biển Caribe. Tillman lại được cho xuất biên chế vào ngày 15 tháng 6 năm 1939.

Hai tháng rưỡi sau, Đức Quốc xã tấn công Ba Lan mở màn Chiến tranh Thế giới thứ hai tại Châu Âu. Cho đến mùa Xuân năm 1940, tình hình ngày càng bất lợi cho phe Đồng Minh. Na Uy bị Đức chiếm đóng do sự phòng thủ kém cỏi của quân Anh-Na Uy Pháp và các nước vùng trũng thất bại do chiến lược tấn công chớp nhoáng blitzkrieg của Đức. Ngoài ra tàu ngầm U boat Đức gây tổn thất nặng cho cả tàu hàng lẫn tàu hộ tống. Sau khi Pháp thua trận, Anh ở trong tình thế hầu như bị cô lập trong trận chiến chống lại Đức. Với số lượng tàu khu trục Anh bị tổn thất nặng tại Na Uy, Đại Tây Dương cũng như trong cuộc triệt thoái khỏi Dunkirk, Thủ tướng Anh Winston Churchill phải nài đến sự trợ giúp của Tổng thống Franklin Roosevelt. Đến ngày 23 tháng 7 năm 1940, hai nhà lãnh đạo tìm được một giải pháp giúp đỡ Anh mà vẫn không từ bỏ vị thế trung lập của Hoa Kỳ: Thỏa thuận đổi tàu khu trục lấy căn cứ sẽ trao 50 tàu khu trục thời Thế Chiến I cho Anh đổi lại Hoa Kỳ được quyền thuê trong thời hạn 99 năm các căn cứ mang tính chiến lược tại vùng Tây bán cầu.

Nằm trong số tàu được chuyển giao, Tillman được nhập biên chế trở lại tại Philadelphia vào ngày 24 tháng 8 năm 1940. Khoảng ba tháng sau, nó đi dọc lên phía Bắc đến Halifax, Nova Scotia, đến nơi vào ngày 21 tháng 11 năm 1940 cùng với phần còn lại của Đội khu trục 20, nhóm tàu cuối cùng được chuyển cho Hải quân Hoàng gia Anh và Canada. Được xuất biên chế vào ngày 26 tháng 11 năm 1940, tên của Tillman được rút khỏi danh sách Đăng bạ Hải quân vào ngày 8 tháng 1 năm 1941.

HMS Wells Sửa đổi

Nhập biên chế cùng Hải quân Anh như là chiếc HMS Wells (I 95) vào ngày 5 tháng 12 năm 1940, chiếc tàu khu trục bị hư hại vào ngày 9 tháng 12 do va chạm với chiếc tàu chị em HMS Newmarket (G 47) (nguyên là chiếc USS Robinson (DD-88) cũng được Hoa Kỳ chuyển giao cho Anh). Vì vậy, nó không thể lên đường đi sang Quần đảo Anh Quốc cho đến ngày 4 tháng 2 năm 1941. Khởi hành vào ngày hôm đó cùng với tàu chị em HMS Newark (G 08) (nguyên là chiếc USS Ringgold (DD-89)), Wells gặp phải một cơn cuồng phong lớn khiến nó bị gảy phần trên cột ăn-ten trước Newark gặp trục trặc động cơ không lâu sau đó, buộc phải được kéo quay trở lại Halifax. Wells cuối cùng cũng đến được Anh và được phân về Đội khu trục 17, làm nhiệm vụ hộ tống cho Hải đội Rải mìn 1. Nó thực hiện một số chiến dịch rải mìn trong giai đoạn này tại khu vực ngoài khơi bờ biển Scotland. Giữa các chiến dịch này, nó hộ tống các đoàn tàu vận tải đi và đến từ Iceland. Vào ngày 10 tháng 6 năm 1941, đang khi hoạt động về phía Nam hòn đảo chiến lược này, Wells tấn công một tàu ngầm U boat nhưng không thành công. Hai ngày sau, nó lại phát hiện một tàu ngầm và tấn công, nhưng chấn động của vụ nổ mìn sâu dưới nước lại gây hư hại cho chính nó, buộc nó phải kết thúc việc săn đuổi.

Sau một đợt tái trang bị tại Kingston upon Hull vào mùa Thu năm 1941, Wells quay trở lại nhiệm vụ hộ tống vận tải. Nó được cải biến cho phù hợp với nhiệm vụ hộ tống tàu buôn bằng cách tháo dỡ ba trong số các khẩu pháo 4 in (100 mm)/50 caliber và một trong số các dàn ống phóng ngư lôi ba nòng để giảm bớt trọng lượng bên trên, lấy chỗ chứa thêm mìn sâu và trang bị một dàn hedgehog (súng cối chống tàu ngầm). [2] Vào ngày 16 tháng 1 năm 1942, nó nhận tín hiệu SOS từ SS R. J. Cullen, một tàu buôn Hoa Kỳ bị mắc cạn ở phía Đông Nam đảo Barra về phía rìa Hebrides, phía Tây Scotland. Biển động mạnh khiến nó không thể thả xuồng cứu sinh, nhưng nó đã canh phòng cho đến khi các xuồng và tàu kéo xuất hiện để đưa thủy thủ đoàn lên bờ an toàn.

Đang khi hộ tống hai tàu vận tải vào cuối mùa Xuân năm đó, Wells cùng với HMS Brighton (I 08) (nguyên là chiếc USS Cowell (DD-167)) bị máy bay Đức ném bom về phía Tây quần đảo Faroe, nhưng thoát đực mà không bị thiệt hại. Trong tháng 11, nó hộ tống cho Đoàn tàu Vận tải KX-6 hỗ trợ cho Chiến dịch Torch, cuộc đổ bộ của Đồng Minh lên Bắc Phi, rồi quay trở về Anh vào tháng 12 cùng với Đoàn tàu MKF-3. Không lâu sau đó, nó tiếp tục nhiệm vụ hộ tống các đoàn tàu đi Iceland.

Sau khi phục vụ một lượt hoạt động hộ tống vận tải và hộ tống rải mìn khác, Wells được chuyển đến Rosyth vào tháng 8 năm 1943 và hoạt động cùng với Lực lượng Hộ tống Rosyth, bảo vệ các đoàn tàu vận tải ven biển đi lại giữa Firth of Forth và cửa sông Thames. Sau khi được tái trang bị tại Clyde vào cuối năm 1944, vào đầu năm 1945, nó trở thành tàu mục tiêu cho việc huấn luyện không quân của Bộ chỉ huy Tiếp cận phía Tây, một vai trò mà nó phục vụ cho đến khi xung đột kết thúc tại châu Âu, và nó được đưa về lực lượng dự bị tại Greenock vào giữa năm 1945. Được cho xuất biên chế vào tháng 7 năm 1945, Wells sau cùng bị tháo dỡ tại Troon, Scotland vào ngày 24 tháng 7 năm 1945.

Watch the video: MG ZS 2021 تجربة تفصيلية ام جي زد اس تيربو