Douglas Garman

Douglas Garman

Douglas Garman, the son of Walter Garman, the medical officer for Wednesbury, was born in 1903. His mother, Margaret Magill, who was nearly twenty years younger than her husband, had eight other children: Mary (1898), Sylvia (1899), Kathleen (1901), Rosalind (1904), Helen (1906), Mavin (1907), Ruth (1909) and Lorna (1911). The family lived at Oakeswell Hall, Wednesbury.

Garman attended prep school in Rugby and in 1916 was sent to Denstone College, a public school in Staffordshire, where he distinguished himself in English and rugby football. Cressida Connolly, the author of The Rare and the Beautiful: The Lives of the Garmans (2004), has argued: "Even as a young man he was intellectual and highly serious, although the poetry that he wrote speaks of a very romantic disposition. He was also handsome, especially in profile, when he looked rather like Rudolph Valentino. He had a sweet, lopsided smile, and he was dark and tall - six foot two or three - with a characteristic long stride and an easy elegance."

Garman won a place at Cambridge University to study Classics but during the course he switched to the recently established Faculty of English Literature. Inspired by the teaching of Ivor Armstrong Richards, he decided he wanted to be a writer. His parents and grandparents wanted him to join one of the professions. When he refused, all financial support was withdrawn. He later recalled that he had been brought up to live as a gentleman, but had been deprived of the means to do so.

In 1921 Garman met Edgell Rickword through Roy Campbell, the husband of his sister Mary Garman. Rickword had been one of the trench poets of the First World War. Serving as an infantry officer, he had lost an eye through wounds. As Cressida Connolly has pointed out: "He (Rickword) was slight and fair-haired, with a very quiet manner and a soft voice. His post-war lyrics - the erotic poems in particular - show a debt to Donne and the metaphysical poets as well as to Baudelaire and the symbolists."

At university he became friends with Ernest Wishart, the and future heir of Sir Sidney Wishart, a successful insurance broker and the sheriff of the City of London. In the summer of 1925 he took Wishart to meet his family. This included his fourteen-year-old sister, Lorna Garman. According to Cressida Connolly: "Ahead of her years, and wild, she seduced the much older Wishart in a hayrick."

After leaving university Ernest Wishart established a new publishing house, Wishart & Company. Garman went to work for his friend and in March 1925, along with Edgell Rickword, began publishing a quarterly literary review, Calendar of Modern Letters. It included the work of Robert Graves, E. M. Forster, Aldous Huxley, A. E. Coppard, L. P. Hartley, Cecil Gray, Hart Crane, John Holms, T. F. Powys, Allen Tate, Roy Campbell, Edmund Blunden, Percy Wyndham Lewis, Siegfried Sassoon, D. H. Lawrence, Bertrand Russell and Edwin Muir.

Garman was assistant editor of the Calendar of Modern Letters. He also contributed several poems and wrote several articles on writers such as Edgar Allan Poe, Michael Arlen and Aldous Huxley. He also gave a good review of Where is Britain Going?, a book written by Leon Trotsky. By this time Garman was a socialist and he wrote: "A regeneration of intelligent sensibility may only be possible after a devastating and bloody revolt against the sickly, bourgeois, animal consciousness of our age."

Wishart & Company also published Negro, an anthology of pieces by 150 writers on black politics and culture, collected and edited by Nancy Cunard. As Edgell Rickword said later: "We all three felt to some degree that literature must be understood and practised as a part of a culture wider and deeper than any single art form, because culture was the essence of the way in which people lived and thought and felt."

During this period Garman met and fell in love with Jeanne Hewitt. They married and moved to a flat in Milman Street in Bloomsbury. Their first and only child, Deborah, was born on 5th January 1926. Soon afterwards, Garman decided to move to Penybont. His best friend, Edgell Rickword, and his girlfriend, Thomasina, went with them to their new home in Wales.

Douglas Garman and Edgell Rickword were both socialists and in 1926 attempted to support the miners during the General Strike. Garman was very disappointed when the Trade Union Congress called off the strike. In November, 1926, the Garmans decided to travel to the Soviet Union. For the next six months Garman gave English lessons in Leningrad.

Garman arrived back in England in April 1927. Mary Campbell wrote a letter to William Plomer where she argued: "My brother suddenly arrived on the doorstep last night. He has just come back from Russia and is very nice, much more amusing than he used to be. We were surprised to see him as he and Roy (Campbell) never liked each other... We all sat up talking all night. It was awfully interesting."

He returned as assistant editor of Calendar of Modern Letters. However, the journal folded three months later. Garman and Edgell Rickword now did editorial work for Wishart & Company. Later that year Garman published a book of poems, The Jaded Hero.

Garman's relationship with Jeanne Hewitt Garman became very difficult. In 1932 Jeanne and her sister Lisa, visited Mary Campbell and Roy Campbell in Martigues. According to Cressida Connolly, the author of The Rare and the Beautiful: The Lives of the Garmans (2004): "It seems that Mary and Jeanne became lovers at this time, and Mary's letters attest to a brief romance... It was during the same visit that Campbell began an affair with Jeanne's sister Lisa... who like her sister, was a considerable beauty."

In March 1933 Garman became a director of Wishart & Company. Once again he was back working with Ernest Wishart and Edgell Rickword. Soon afterwards he was contacted by his old friend, John Holms, about publishing Ryder, a novel written by his friend, Djuna Barnes. Garman met Holms and his partner, Peggy Guggenheim, in the Chandos pub in Trafalgar Square. In her autobiography, Out of this Century (1979), Guggenheim commented: "Douglas Garman never published Ryder. I believe he did not like it, but he asked us if he could come to stay with us in Paris at Easter time. When he came, I fell in love with him." However, she continued to live with Holms.

That summer John Holms fractured his wrist, riding on Dartmoor with Peggy Guggenheim. Despite being reset, the bones had never realigned correctly, and he had been advised to have a simple operation. Holms was a heavy drinker and on the morning of the operation on 19th January, 1934, he had a terrible hangover. Holms died under the anaesthetic. Garman wrote Guggenheim a letter of condolence. The couple had dinner in March and soon afterwards they became lovers. The couple set up home at Yew Tree Cottage in South Harting.

In her autobiography, Out of the Century (1979) Guggenheim argued: "Garman was a straightforward, honest person with a wonderful sense of humor, and a fine mimic. He was simple, and disapproved of all snobbishness and chi-chi. He was a puritan and a frustrated poet. He was a revolutionary at heart, but all his habits and tastes belonged to the class in which he was born. He spoke beautiful English as well as excellent Russian, French and Italian. He was well educated. His tempo was quite different from mine. I moved about ten times faster than he did, and almost went mad waiting for him to finish sentences. He was five years younger than I which made me self-conscious. He found me very sloppy and would have liked me to dress much better than I did. He did not like me to have any gray hair."

Guggenheim, who was an extremely wealthy woman, persuaded him to give up his job in order to concentrate on his writing career. During this period Garman became increasingly interested in politics. For many years he had been a member of the Labour Party. However, in 1934, he decided to join the Communist Party of Great Britain. His two closest friends, Ernest Wishart and Edgell Rickword, also joined. Instead of staying at home with Peggy Guggenheim, he became a travelling lecturer. He also helped establish the Marxist journal, Left Review.

In 1935 Ernest Wishart merged his company with another publishing house to form Lawrence and Wishart. The new company moved to offices in Red Lion Square and became the press of the Communist Party of Great Britain. Despite the objections of Guggenheim, Garman joined the new venture. The company concentrated on publishing books on economics, working-class history and the classics of Marxism. Wishart also published New Writing, a twice-yearly anthology, that included the work of W.H.Auden, Ralph Fox, Christopher Isherwood and Cecil Day Lewis.

Garman's friend, Alick West commented: "He loved life with a humour which ranged from the exuberant to the sardonic, and with an intelligence which knew its heights and depths and faced them with courage. He strove to live with all his consuming energy and to make others live. He could not endure that anyone should exist in indifference. Where he was, he quickened the life around him into pleasure and gaiety, laughter and wit, and with honesty that went to the very heart. In his friendship was the unsparing generosity of truth."

In October 1936 Garman joined the 500 men on the Welsh Miners' Hunger March from South Wales to London. He reported on the event for the CPGB newspaper, The Daily Worker. According to Cressida Connolly: "Douglas Garman's moving handwritten journal of the Welsh miners' march deserves to find a publisher."

On the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War in 1936, Garman wanted to join the International Brigade. However, as Peggy Guggenheim explained in her autobiography, Out of the Century (1979): "Garman went around the country in a second-hand car he had bought for the purpose, giving lectures and trying to recruit new members. I saw him less and less as he was so busy. I was more and more alone, and became more and more unhappy. It was during the period of the Spanish War and he was very excited about it. I was afraid he was going to join the International Brigade, but his health would not permit."

In 1936 it was agreed that Jeanne Hewitt Garman would have responsibility for her daughter Deborah during term-times but she would stay with Douglas and Peggy during holidays. This worked well as Peggy had a daughter, Pegeen, of the same age: "Garman and Debbie moved into Yew Tree Cottage, and I found myself once again the mother of two children. I loved Debbie. She was just the opposite of any child I had ever known. She was so mature, calm, sensible, self contained and well behaved, and so little trouble. She was intellectual like her father and loved to read and to be read to. She had a wonderful influence over Pegeen, and Pegeen over her. She became less priggish in our home. They got on marvelously and were soon like sisters."

Jeanne Hewitt Garman began an affair with a young actor and asked Garman for a divorce. According to Peggy Guggenheim: "Garman said I would have to be co-respondent. I protested violently because Mrs. Garman had left Garman long before I met him, and I considered this most unfair. But Garman said I was living with him, and there was no other way to do it, since he would not divorce his wife. The whole thing was very silly. We had to be found in a room together, Garman in a dressing gown and I in bed. A detective came down from London early in the morning, so that the children would not know about it. After that he wanted to come again, but Garman said he would not go through it a second time, it must suffice."

Guggenheim wrote to her friend, Emily Coleman: "If I followed my instinct I would leave him. Though I do love him I don't think we should be together. But I haven't the courage to go." Coleman then wrote to their mutual friend, Djuna Barnes: "She is madly in love with him (Garman). She wants him far more than he does her; this is the first time that's happened to Peggy."

In 1937 Garman spent a lot of time working with Lewis Jones, the Welsh organiser of the National Unemployed Workers' Movement. Garman and Arthur Horner, the President of the South Wales Miners' Federation, suggested that Jones wrote about his experiences in the form of a novel. Garman believed that Jones had a vitally important role in breaking down the division between workers and intellectuals. Jones' novel, Cwmardy, was published in 1937. It is claimed by Hywel Francis that the main character in the novel is based on Will Paynter.

Roy Campbell and Mary Campbell went to stay with Ernest Wishart and Lorna Wishart for Christmas. The Wisharts organised a dinner party that including Garman, Peggy Guggenheim and Edgell Rickword. A discussion on the Spanish Civil War caused a major rift in the family. Rickword later commented: "He (Campbell) was very good fun, by no means a fool. But where he got this crappy, hysterical sort of fascism from, I don't know." Campbell responded by describing Wishart's home as "Bolshevik Binsted".

Guggenheim even joined the Communist Party of Great Britain in an attempt to please Garman. She recalled in her autobiography: "Garman wanted me to join the Communist party but he said that they would not accept me unless I did a job for them. I wrote a letter to Harry Pollitt, the head of the Party, and said that I wanted to join, but that I could not take a job as I lived in the country, took care of two little girls and had no free time. Of course I was accepted. Which was what I wanted to prove."

Djuna Barnes, Ernest Wishart, Edgell Rickword, Bertrand Russell and William Gerhardi, all visited Peggy Guggenheim at Yew Tree Cottage. However, Guggenheim, who had previously had a very busy social life complained about her "extremely lonely life, getting more and more depressed". She also argued that Garman was now only interested in members of the CPGB: "The only people he now wanted to invite to Yew Tree Cottage were Communists, and it didn't matter what other qualifications they had: if they were Communists they were welcome. I found myself entertaining the strangest guests. Any person from the working class became a sort of god to Garman."

Garman's relationship with Guggenheim continued to deteriorate. She wrote to Emily Coleman: "Garman and I seem to drift further and further apart spiritually and mentally though the physical is overwhelming still." Peggy Guggenheim admitted: "After I had been with Garman about a year and a half I began to get the idea of running away from him. I tried it on various occasions, but he always got me back. I didn't want to live with him and I didn't want to live without him. He still loved me very much, though I did everything to destroy it. I don't see how he could have endured me so long."

Garman became especially interested in Jessie "Paddy" Ayriss, the wife of George Hardy, a leading figure in the CPGB. Guggenheim noted: "She was very attractive. She looked rather American, with a tip-tilted nose and a smart figure... Garman was very upset about his new love affair because Paddy had a husband... Garman did not want to interfere and break up their marriage, and anyway Paddy wasn't quite ready to leave her husband, who was much older than she was, and whom she rarely saw." In the end Douglas moved to Hampstead with Paddy and they were married.

Lewis Jones died of a heart-attack on 27th January 1939. He had recently addressed 30 meetings supporting the fight against fascism in Spain. Some of his friends later claimed that he died of a broken-heart because he knew that communism had lost its fight with fascism. Jones' second novel, We Live, was unfinished. It is believed that Garman persuaded his partner, Mavis Llewellyn, to write the last two chapters, "A Party Decision" and "A Letter from Spain". The book was published by Lawrence and Wishart later that year.

Garman became an education officer for the Communist Party of Great Britain during the Second World War. He also lectured at trade union branches and at meetings of the Left Book Club. He wrote to Paddy: "Teaching is really my work... the fact of teaching, of being able to get over to other comrades what I know to be exciting and important, stimulates me enormously.... Keep loving me as much as I do you and we'll be invulnerable.... Believe me, this work does help to bring about what we both try to live for." His friend, Liz West, remarked: "He had the effect of making you want to live.. I think this is why he was an exceptional person."

After the war Douglas Garman found himself in disagreement with Harry Pollitt and the leadership of the CPGB and he decided to withdraw from party activities: "In 1950 I decided that, if I could now write, in such a way as to give expression to the far greater understanding of the class struggle and my much deepened conviction of its necessity, my participation through writing would be more effective."

Garman began writing a semi-autobiographical novel which dealt with political issues through the changing beliefs of a large family and a polemic entitled The Necessity of Revolution. However, both books were never completed. He suffered from depression and in one poem he wrote: "I cannot sing, for my throat is hoarse with slogans."

Garman became a farmer in Sussex. He also wrote the text for some of the Shell Guides to England. He remained a Marxist. His friend, Alick West commented: "He made himself a Marxist because in Marxism and revolution he saw the same promise of life as in poetry. In the Party schools which he created he enabled others to see it also. There are men and women throughout the land who will never forget him."

Douglas Garman died in 1969.

Douglas Garman was not a bad choice, if security and devotion were what she sought. Born in 1903 to a wealthy doctor and his wife (she was said to be half-Gypsy), he grew up in an Elizabethan manor house called Oakeswell Hall in Wednesbury, near Birmingham in Staffordshire. Garman had a brother, Mavin, a farmer in Hampshire, and seven remarkable sisters, several of whom would figure in Peggy's life in the future. The beautiful Garman girls carried on a dizzying, decades-spanning roundelay of marriages and affairs with prominent men that would have left Alma Mahler envious. They included Mary, who married the fascist South African poet Roy Campbell and had an affair with Vita Sackville-West; Sylvia, who was said to have had an affair with the elusive T. Lawrence; Kathleen, the muse and mistress of Sir Jacob Epstein, the sculptor, who became his wife only after bearing him three children; Rosalind, who prosaically married a garage owner and had two children; Helen, who married a half-Norwegian fisherman in France and had a daughter, Kathy, who married the much-loved poet and memoirist Laurie Lee (whose Cider with Rosie was published in 1959); Ruth, who lived in Herefordshire and had several children by different men; and Lorna, perhaps the most beautiful of all, who married Ernest Wishart, the publisher who employed Douglas Garman, and bore him a child at seventeen, later had an illegitimate daughter with Laurie Lee (afterward her niece Kathy's husband), and later still had an affair with the painter Lucian Freud (who, in turn, later married and had a child with Kitty Epstein, another of Lorna's nieces, the daughter of Kathleen). Peggy was to consider all these Garmans as a kind of honorary family.

Douglas Garman had gone to Cambridge but then veered from a conventional course, announcing to his grandfather, also a doctor, that he wanted to be a writer. The grandfather, livid, brushed his wishes aside and told him there were four professions open to a gentleman: the church, the army, law, and medicine. When Garman ignored this advice, his grandfather cut him out of his will.

While a student at Cambridge, he had switched from the study of the classics to that of English literature. Books and politics became his greatest interests. Even as a young man lie was intellectual and highly serious, although the poetry that he wrote speaks of a very romantic disposition. He was also handsome, especially in profile, when lie looked rather like Rudolph Valentino. He had a sweet, lopsided smile, and he was dark and tall - six foot two or three - with a characteristic long stride and an easy elegance. He never had any difficulty in striking up a conversation, whether at a parry, in a railway carriage or across a garden fence. His interests were academic, but humour was essential to his nature. In common with his siblings he was a brilliant, merciless mimic, and lie enjoyed teasing, although he could be prickly. "He teased everybody, but hee didn't like to be teased," his step-daughter remembered. Having grown up in a big family, Douglas was used to ragging, but he could seem harsh to other people. Some found him sardonic - especially, in later life, when he was sometimes to be engulfed by disappointment - but he was essentially kind.

Douglas wanted to be a writer, despite the disapproval of his paternal grandfather, who urged him to join one of the professions. There were only five paths open to a man, old Dr Garman pronounced: the army, the navy, the law, the Church or medicine. When his grandson said that he was not planning to follow any of them, he was cut off without a penny and the promised support for his younger brother Mavin's university education was withdrawn. In later life Douglas used to sigh that he had been brought up to live as a gentleman, but had been deprived of the means to do so.

Garman was a straightforward, honest person with a wonderful sense of humor, and a fine mimic. I moved about ten times faster than he did, and almost went mad waiting

for him to finish sentences. He did not like me to have any gray hair.

He loved life with a humour which ranged from the exuberant to the sardonic, and with an intelligence which knew its heights and depths and faced them with courage. In his friendship was the unsparing generosity of truth. Poetry inspired him. He made himself a Marxist because in Marxism and revolution he saw the same promise of life as in poetry. There are men and women throughout the land who will never forget him.

By degrees Garman got more and more interested in Karl Marx and fell more and more under his spell. He began applying Marx's theories to everything. He gave a course of lectures to prove that all the great writers were revolutionary. He lost all sense of proportion and criticism and saw everything in one light. I went to these lectures and asked questions to embarrass and confuse him. After John's brilliant mind and detachment, all this was too silly for me to endure.

Garman got more and more involved and finally joined the Communist Party. All the money I gave him, which formerly went to paying for the building he had done on the house and on other things, now went to the Communist Party. I had no objection to that at all. I merely got bored listening to the latest orders from Moscow, which I was supposed to obey. Garman wanted me to join the Communist party but he said that they would not accept me unless I did a job for them. Which was what I wanted to prove.

Garman went around the country in a second-hand car he had bought for the purpose, giving lectures and trying to recruit new members. I was afraid he was going to join the International Brigade, but his health would not permit.

The only people he now wanted to invite to Yew Tree Cottage were Communists, and it didn't matter what other qualifications they had: if they were Communists they were welcome. Any person from the working class became a sort of god to Garman. As I got more and more bored I fought more and more with Garman. Not that I was against Communism as a principle. I just found it difficult suddenly to have my whole life directed by Garman's new religion, I for it had certainly become that. He was like Sir Galahad after he had seen the Holy Grail. During the time of the Moscow purges I was upset because I thought Stalin had gone rather far, but Garman explained it all away. He had a marvelous way of convincing me that everything the Communists did was right. I must say they are pretty clever.

The archive reflects Garman's political, literary and educational interests from the 1930s until his death. It includes books, notebooks, miscellaneous notes, articles, pamphlets, letters and newscuttings. Among his papers are notes and ephemera concerning the South Wales Hunger March of 1936, which he reported on behalf of the Daily Worker . His poems survive in manuscript and typescript, including copies of those published in The Jaded Hero (1927). Some posthumous papers are included, evidence of efforts made after his death to collect material for a biography.

Douglas Garman came from Wednesdbury, Staffordshire, and was educated at Caius College, Cambridge. He spent the 1920s between London and Paris, and was in Leningrad in 1926. During this period he began to assist in editing The Calendar of Modern Letters, and to contribute articles to it. From 1930-1940 he worked for the publishers Lawrence and Wishart, including a period as editor of The Modern Quarterly . He had strong left-wing sympathies, and from 1940 to 1950 held the position of head of the Communist Party's education programme. His opinions came to be in disagreement with the Communist Party, and he retired to a farm in Dorset, where he continued to write and translate.

Similar Items

  • Writing the revolution : cultural criticism from Left review /
    Published: (1998)
  • Working papers : selected essays and reviews /
    by: Carruth, Hayden, 1921-
    Published: (1982)
  • Modernity in East-West literary criticism : new readings /
    Published: (2001)
  • Twentieth-century literary criticism
    Published: (1978)
  • Canon and creativity : modern writing and the authority of scripture /
    by: Alter, Robert.
    Published: (2000)
800 Lancaster Ave., Villanova, PA 19085 610.519.4500 Contact

Mike Garman

“I got traded for him and now he’s my insurance broker,” said Bill Buckner in 2011.1 Buckner was recalling a January 1977 trade when the Los Angeles Dodgers sent both him and Ivan de Jesus to the Chicago Cubs for Mike Garman, Rick Monday, and a minor-leaguer. Buckner settled in Boise after his baseball career Mike Garman was born in Idaho.

In a February 2018 interview, Garman remembered the trade. It wasn’t just that they were traded for each other — they were with each other at the time. “We were hunting for pheasants together on my farm when we found out we were traded for one another.”2

Caldwell, Idaho, is situated on the Boise River along a natural passageway from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Northwest and has been dubbed “The Treasure of The Valley.” It was founded in 1883, as the Oregon Short Line Railway was routed through the area. The city soon offered waterways and irrigation canals as well, forming the basis for an agricultural center.

Michael Douglas Garman was born in Caldwell on September 16, 1949. The city had doubled in size in the prior 20 years but was still small, with a population of 10,487 at the time of the 1950 census. “Before the turn of the last century our family came out from Chicago and homesteaded in Wilder, Idaho. Dad and my mom still live on that hill – Garman Hill. When I played, you could reach me at Garman Hill. It’s on the state maps. Mail could just be addressed to me at Garman Hill.”3 Mike’s parents were Houston and Nadine Garman. Mike had an older brother, Steve, and a younger sister, JoAnn. “We have a family farm, but he was production manager for Crookam Seed Corn Company for 40 years.”

Mike came from a family that played baseball. His father, Houston Garman, had been a left-handed pitcher who spent 1949 and 1950 in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization, though his record for the Modesto Reds in the Class-C California League was a disappointing 2-11 in 1949.4

Mike was All-State in both basketball and football, but as Tom Fox wrote, “There was little suspense as to what Mike Garman would do after high school. He was dominant in three sports at Caldwell High — football, basketball, and baseball — but it was on a pitcher’s mound where he truly belonged.”5 Garman was scouted heavily by every major-league team. Fox wrote that it wasn’t unusual to see him strike out 17 opponents in a game. His brother Steve said, “He was very dominating. Kids were scared to bat against him. I’m sure he threw in the mid-90s back then. He dominated every game.”6 Coach Charles Avaro said Garman had started 33 games for him and only lost four.7 Though he selected baseball, he had been named an All-American in basketball and had basketball scholarship offers from UCLA, USC, and Idaho.8

At age 17, he was selected by the Boston Red Sox in the first round of baseball’s June 1967 amateur draft, the third player chosen — and selected before any other pitcher in the country that year9 On June 9, he was signed by Red Sox scout Earl Johnson. His bonus was later reported as having been $55,000.10 Despite the scholarship offers, Garman already had a family to support. He used the bonus to buy a home in Caldwell, where he lived for many years.11

At age 17, Mike had married Linda Lee Lanfear, his Caldwell High School sweetheart, during their senior year, on February 4, 1967. “She was the cheerleader and I was the star,” he laughs.12 At the time of the draft, Mike was reported to be the “father of a 6-week-old son.”13

Mike credits Linda: “She’s the one I owe everything to. Being gone and raising two kids. The years I played baseball, we lived in 54 different places. I give her all the credit for the kids and the whole bit. I’d fly into a town and she’d have to set the apartment up, do all the utilities, get all that stuff done — and I was gone. That was a marriage that wasn’t supposed to work. Fifty-one years later….”14

The Garmans have two sons, Gregory and Sean. “They were both really good baseball players” Mike says. “Greg went to Maricopa Junior College in California. He was voted right-handed pitcher of the year in the junior college league down there, and then he got a scholarship to Lewis and Clark, a four-year school. They were NAIA national champion for a number of years. But he blew his shoulder out and couldn’t play. Sean played at CSI [College of Southern Idaho] in Twin Falls, a junior college, and they went to the national JuCo Tournament in Colorado. He was signed by the St. Louis Cardinals after his sophomore year, in the 16th round. He played professionally a couple of years.”15

Garman threw and batted right-handed, and grew to become 6-foot-3, listed at 198 pounds.16 Having a father who had been a professional baseball player no doubt helped both Steve and Mike Garman. “He was our Little League coach all the way through. He had really a good perspective on pitching.”17

Mike’s brother Steve had been drafted two years before Mike, selected in the 31st round of the 1965 draft by the Baltimore Orioles. Steve attended the University of Idaho instead, but the year after Mike was selected, he re-entered the January 1968 secondary draft and was also a first-round selection, picked #2 overall by the San Francisco Giants. He primarily played third base during his two years of pro ball, but also filled in in the outfield, at first base, and at shortstop. His record shows with the Medford Giants (Class A-) in the Northwest League, batting .231 in 76 games and committing 12 errors in 171 chances at third base. He played in a rookie league (Pioneer League) in 1969 for the Great Falls Giants. He hit .250 in 22 games. Steve pitched one inning each year and didn’t give up a hit or walk a batter either time. Mike said of his brother, “He didn’t really like baseball. He was a football player. But he was a good baseball player, a position player.”

Houston Garman was a left-handed pitcher and Mike was right-handed — at baseball. Oddly, though, Mike explained, “I wish I had been left-handed like him. I do everything left-handed except throw. Throw and bat. I write left-handed. I play tennis naturally right-handed and I play ping-pong naturally left-handed. That’s being screwed up!”18

The Red Sox assigned Mike to Single-A ball in 1967 and he pitched for two of their farm teams — the Winston-Salem Red Sox (Carolina League) and then the briefest of stints with the Greenville (South Carolina) Red Sox — for just one inning — in the Western Carolinas League. In that one inning, he walked two and gave up three hits, charged with two earned runs. “It was raining, and slippery, and I was off-balance,” he said several years later. “I hurt my arm on a pitch. They operated to remove bone chips from my elbow.”19 For Winston-Salem he appeared in six games, for a total of 24 innings and a 6.75 ERA his record was 1-3.

In 1968 he put in a full season with Greenville. He worked in 20 games, starting 16 of them. Though his record was 5-7, he had a decent 3.73 ERA. In 1969 he put in a full season at Winston-Salem, under the same manager he had had in 1969 – Matt Sczesny. Garman started 24 of 29 games, worked 162 innings (striking out a league-leading 183 batters) and recorded an ERA of 3.11. His record was 10-12 — but, he told the Boston Herald at the time, “In those 12 games, our club was shut out seven times.”20 He also led the league in wild pitches.21After the league season was over, he was called up to the Boston Red Sox.

Garman’s debut was on September 22, 1969, at Boston’s Fenway Park, where the Red Sox were hosting the New York Yankees. Neither team was in the running for anything of note. The Red Sox were in third place, 24 ½ games behind the first-place Baltimore Orioles. The Yankees were in fifth place, 30 ½ games back. It was still an intimidating experience for a young pitcher who had been a teenager just six days earlier.

The game did not start well for Garman. He walked the first two batters, struck out one, threw a wild pitch that allowed both baserunners to advance, then walked the bases loaded. He was fortunate to induce two groundouts only one run to have scored. “I had been 20 for six days. As young as I was, and starting against the Yankees. If I could have dug a hole behind the mound at Fenway Park and crawled into it, I would have.”22 In the top of the third, the Yankees took a 3-0 lead, but in the bottom of the fourth, Red Sox batters bailed out Garman, scoring four runs to take the lead. The game ended well Garman won the game. When he walked his sixth batter of the game in the top of the eighth, manager Dick Williams felt he was tiring and brought on Sparky Lyle, who worked the last two innings and saved the game for Garman. “I have never seen a young pitching prospect with so much stuff,” declared pitching coach Darrell Johnson.23

It was, however, the last game Williams managed he was replaced by interim manager Eddie Popowski after the game. The news about Williams being fired dominated the postgame news. “The clubhouse was crazy that night. The clubhouse was just absolutely chaos — all the reporters in there.”24

Garman started one other game, on September 26 against the visiting Detroit Tigers. Garman went 5 1/3 innings Sonny Siebert got the 6-5 win for the Red Sox. Garman was an undefeated 1-0 with Boston, with a 4.38 ERA. “My problem was that I threw very hard, but I couldn’t throw strikes consistently. It was not until I learned to do that that I became a major-league pitcher. I had the stuff to pitch in the big leagues when I was 17, but of course you’ve got to be able to throw strikes in the big leagues.”25

Garman’s entire 1970 season was spent in the minors with Louisville, and he struggled a bit, walking more batters (132) than he struck out (127). At one point in mid-June, Red Sox director of player procurement and scouting Neil Mahoney said, “Garman at 20 is the most promising pitcher we have at Louisville. But Garman has also been our biggest disappointment to date.”26 He started 27 games and relieved in one other, with a record of 7-13 and a 4.39 earned run average.

In 1971 he was a September callup again. For Louisville, he had 20 starts but relieved in nine games. All told, he struck out one more batter than in 1970, but cut the bases on balls from 132 all the way down to 88, a drop of 44 walks. His ERA improved to 4.19. His record was 8-7. Garman later credited Louisville manager Darrell Johnson for turning him into a relief pitcher. After he joined the Cubs in 1976, he said, “There’s money to be made in the bullpen. We’ve seen that in the last few years.”27

Sox manager Eddie Kasko gave Garman three starts in September. Starting the game on his 22nd birthday, he was hit for five runs and didn’t complete the fourth inning, but had no decision in the game. The next two games were quite good ones — giving up only two runs over eight innings for a 3-2 win against Mickey Lolich and the Tigers at Fenway and one run over seven innings against the Orioles in a 1-0 loss.

Mike Garman had gotten in a semester at Albertson College earlier, but the Red Sox wanted him to pitch in Puerto Rico over the winter, to get in some additional innings. He never returned to college. Linda Garman had had to quit high school the last semester of their senior year, but she went on to get her GED and a degree in Communications from George Fox University of Oregon. She worked for the State of Idaho for 29 years as a senior consultant in the Department of Labor.28

The September callup pattern held in 1972, but in Louisville Garman furthered the transition to relief pitcher, starting 19 games but relieving in 20. He was developing better control, too, pitching 20 more innings, but with 19 fewer walks. He was 11-9, 4.23. In three Red Sox appearances, the one he started was his worst — against the Detroit Tigers. He only faced five batters before being pulled four of them reached base and three scored. There was considerable criticism of Eddie Kasko for starting Garman with just 13 games to go in the season, against the Tigers who in the end edged the Red Sox by a half-game to win the American League East.

For the next six seasons, Garman remained in the big leagues. The Red Sox couldn’t send him to the minors they were out of options. The team saw true potential, and didn’t want to lose him so he was kept with the big-league team all of 1973, though used only infrequently: 1 2/3 innings in April, the same in May, 3 1/3 innings in June, a total of nine innings in July, but none in August, and then 6 1/3 innings in September. In 22 innings over 12 games, he had neither a win nor a loss but had a WHIP of 2.136 due to 32 hits and 15 walks, and an ERA of 5.32. He had, Chicago Tribune writer Condon wrote, “less work than a guy selling blindfolds at a topless dancing show.”29 The Red Sox decided they couldn’t keep waiting for him to live up to that potential. In December, he was one of three pitchers traded to the St. Louis Cardinals in a six-player swap.30

“I have a lot of fond memories of Fenway,” Garman recalled, “and especially Mr. Yawkey. He’d come out and dress down. There are two or three of us that he would play pepper with. He loved it. He liked to play pepper. When I got traded, he called me personally afterward and just said, ‘Mike, I think the world of you but I think in the long run this is going to be the best thing for you.’ And he was right.”31

That doesn’t mean he was that happy at the time.

Perhaps the National League was more to his liking. Perhaps he simply — all of a sudden — lived up to his perceived potential. The Cardinals definitely gave him work. He had an excellent year for St. Louis in 1974. He was one of a tandem with left-hander Al Hrabosky, who appeared in 65 games and finished 31. Garman appeared in 64 games and closed 30. Garman led the team in ERA at 2.64. His record was 7-2.

The two — Hrabosky and Garman — wound up almost even in appearances and finishing games in 1975, and both improved in ERA (Garman brought his down to 2.39), but the 13-3 Hrabosky had much more success with wins and losses Garman was 3-8. He was credited with 10 saves Hrabosky had 22. Without question, Garman was pitching in “The Mad Hungarian’s” shadow. On October 28, the Cardinals traded Garman to the Chicago Cubs for middle-infielder Don Kessinger and a player to be named later, a minor leaguer.

Garman is not pleased with how he had been handled by the Red Sox. “I still hold a grudge,” he admitted. “In ’73, I was there the entire year. That was the first year of the designated hitter rule.32 I think we had almost 70 complete games that year. We had five starters who had won 20 games a year at one time in their career. I pitched in 12 games and had 22 innings the entire year. Bob Bolin was our short relief pitcher and he only pitched in 39 games. And then I was traded to St. Louis. The next year, I appeared in 64 games. The year after that I set a franchise record for the most appearances ever at that time by a pitcher for the Cardinals. What a difference.”33

Though fewer men reached base on him per inning in 1976, his ERA leapt to 4.95. His record for the Cubs was 2-4. He started only two games, both times when he was pressed into duty in the second game of doubleheaders. He lost both those starts. He worked in relief in 45 other games.

And he was on the move again, in the January 1977 trade to the Dodgers that involved Bill Buckner, though the trade was apparently “spurred by a financial impasse” between the Cubs and Rick Monday, who “priced himself off the Cubs’ roster.”34 Garman hadn’t been happy in Chicago. “I’d like to thank the Dodger organization for taking me out of Chicago,” he said.35

Remarkably, the trade to the Dodgers reunited him with teammate Reggie Smith. The two had been on the Red Sox for the years 1971-73, and on the Cardinals in 1974 and 1975. They played together on the Dodgers in 1977 and 1978.

For the Dodgers, he appeared in 49 games, finishing 30 of them. He built up wins to be 4-0 through June, with a 2.51 ERA. By season’s end, his ERA was still quite good, at 2.73, but he’d lost each of his final four decisions to finish 4-4.

In 1977, Garman pitched in postseason baseball, earning a save in Game Three of the National League Championship Series against the Phillies. He hit one batter, but didn’t allow a base hit. He appeared in two World Series games, pitching the ninth through the 11th inning in Game One against the Yankees, striking out three and only allowing one hit. He was replaced by a pinch-hitter, and the Yankees won in in the 12th. In Game Four, he pitched the top of the ninth and gave up a single, but no runs. The Yankees held a 4-2 lead, and the Dodgers failed to score in the bottom of the ninth.

Garman started the 1978 season with the Dodgers and was 0-1 after 10 appearances. On May 20 he was traded to the Montreal Expos for two pitchers, lefty Gerry Hannahs and righty Larry Landreth. For the Expos, he appeared in 47 games, closing 29. His ERA was remarkably consistent for the two clubs, 4.41 for L.A. and 4.40 for Montreal.

On March 30, 1979, near the end of spring training, he was released by the Expos. He was listed on the roster of two Pacific Coast League teams that year, Portland and Tacoma. He pitched for Portland through June, and was then dealt to Tacoma for Rob Ellis. The September 8 issue of The Sporting News gave his unofficial combined record as 5-3, with a 4.82 ERA. That was the last year he was in organized baseball.

“What happened is that I had a rotator cuff problem. That’s why the Dodgers traded me to Montreal. I was known as a hard thrower. I didn’t trick anybody. I threw the ball by people. When my arm…I got tired of pitching and having tears squirt out of my eyes, because of the pain. They didn’t have the surgery they have now where they can repair a rotator cuff and tighten it up and you can come back and throw harder than you did before. They didn’t have that surgery, so my career was pretty much over. I tried to see if I could heal my arm and come back from it, but you can’t with a tear.

“I knew my career was over, and I had a farming operation going here in Wilder at that time. My father had orchards that he was involved in. But my brother and I had a corporation, raising seed corn as a crop. I did that for 13 years after I retired out of baseball.”

His brother Steve kept farming, but Mike took a position as an agent with an insurance firm in Caldwell. “Farm Bureau is an insurance company here in Idaho and we write a lot of insurance for big farms and ranches. I knew everyone in the area. I went to work for Farm Bureau. I’m retiring here at the end of March after 25 ½ years of being with them.

“Life’s been good here in Idaho. It’s a great state.”36

Last revised: March 8, 2018


In addition to the sources noted in this biography, the author also accessed Garman’s player file and player questionnaire from the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball,, and


This biography was reviewed by Norman Macht and fact-checked by Kevin Larkin.

2 Author interview with Mike Garman on February 21, 2018. He added, “My nickname was ‘Pickles.’ He said, ‘Pickles, you know, the Dodgers are going to go to the World Series next year.’ I said, ‘Yeah, I know.’ It turned out good for him, though. When he went to Chicago, he met Jody. He had some great years there, and they got married, so all in all it really worked out good for him.”

3 Ibid. Both parents are still living, both 92 years old at the time of the interview.

4 Garman said, “My dad pitched for the University of Wisconsin and World War II broke out. He enlisted, went to radio school, and became a radioman in the Navy. He was on a ship for a couple of years. When he got out, he started pitching again and the Pittsburgh Pirates signed him.” February 2018 interview.

7 Joe Cashman, “Idaho Pitching Whiz Red Sox Top Draft Pick,” Boston Record American, June 7, 1967: 18.

8 Don Whitely, “Sox Vie With Colleges for Top Draft Choices,” Boston Globe, June 7, 1967: 40.

9 Selected #1 overall was Ron Blomberg (New York Yankees) and #2 was Terry Hughes (Chicago Cubs). Garman was third.

10 Clif Keane, “Lyle, Garman Holdouts Moret’s Shoulder ‘Stiff’,” Boston Globe, February 19, 1972: 21.

13 Associated Press, “Blomberg, Hughes No. 1 Draft Choices,’ Augusta Chronicle, June 7, 1967: 9.

15 For Sean Garman’s professional baseball stats, see:

16 More often than not, his weight was listed annually as closer to 215. Garman struggled some with weight issues throughout his career. He picked up the nickname “Pickles” in St. Louis (from Bob Gibson) because of his propensity to eat as many as a quart at a sitting. See Ross Newhan, “Dodgers Weigh the value of Garman,” Los Angeles Times, August 5, 1977: E1.

19 David Condon, “‘Real’ Easy Street Still Eludes New Cub Hurler,” Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1975: C1. Garman literally lived on Easy Street in Caldwell.

20 Bill Liston, “Garman, Sox Win, 4-3,” Boston Herald, September 23, 1969: 45.

21 In both strikeouts and wild pitches, Garman tied for the league lead.

23 Fred Ciampa, “Red Sox Unveil Garman in ‘Year of the Rookie,” Boston Record American, September 23, 1969: 4.

24 Ibid. The game was one of the first games of Yankees catcher Thurman Munson Garman struck him out twice.

26 Neil Singelais, “Garman Poses Paradox to Sox,” Boston Globe, June 28, 1969: 89.

27 Richard Dozer, “New Cub Garman Likes Role As Relief Hurler,” Chicago Tribune, January 9, 1976: C3.

30 Garman said, “The Red Sox didn’t think that John Curtis and Lynn McGlothen or myself would go on to have good major-league careers. We went on to have decent careers. I think if they would have held onto us, the outcome of that 1975 World Series could have been different.” February 2018 interview.

32 As a major-league batter, Garman actually had more hits in the American League than in the NL. For the Red Sox, he was 4-for-11 (.364), all singles, with one run batted in — an early run in a 1969 game the Red Sox ultimately won, 6-5. In the National League, he was 1-for-31 (.032), with 13 strikeouts.

34 Richard Dozer, “Pay Impasse Sends Rick to Dodgers,” Chicago Tribune, January 12, 1977: C1.

Camp O’ Death

Minister of War Hideki Tojo had said, “A POW who does not work, should not eat,” which translated into a death sentence for the sick and wounded at Camp O’Donnell, explain Rogers and Bartlit. Nicknamed Camp O’ Death, the survivors of the Bataan Death march along with other POWs continued to die from starvation and disease.

The camp diet was lugao, a watery rice gruel that contained fish heads, vegetables, and usually inch-long weevils. Some POWs ate the weevils for their protein value. The prisoners supplemented their diet with prison stew, which they made from anything edible that they stole, such as turnips, or rats.

Sick prisoners were sent to the crude hospital ward, which was nicknamed “zero ward,” as in for patients with zero hope. Rogers and Bartlit describe how patients lay there and waited to die, because there was little to no medicine. One prisoner described having his appendix removed with a sharpened spoon and no anesthetic.

Escaping from the prison might have appeared to be an option, because the fence was just a couple strands of barbed wire. However, the nearest safe zone was 9,000 miles away in Australia. The prisoners did not speak the local language and “any white captive’s skin was a prison uniform he could not take off,” explained historian Gavan Daws. In addition, the Japanese implemented a system of death squads, where they created groups of ten men. If one man tried to escape, they all would be killed.

Punishments and sadistic acts continued in the prison as well. Rogers and Bartlit describe a water treatment, in which the Japanese would ram garden hoses down a prisoner’s throat or up another orifice, until the prisoner’s belly was swollen with water. Then, they would jump on the stomach. This punishment nearly always resulted in death.

First Female Commander of Marine One Fired After Assault Charge

The Marine officer who was named a "person of the week" in 2009 when she became the first-ever aircraft commander of Marine One -- the presidential chopper -- has been fired from her current post, the Marine Corps announced Wednesday.

Lt. Col. Jennifer Grieves, 45, was relieved from command of Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 464, a CH-53E Super Stallion squadron out of Marine Corps Air Station New River, due to a loss of trust and confidence in her ability to continue to lead, according to a statement released by II Marine Expeditionary Force.

A spokesman for II MEF, Lt. Col. Michael Armistead, said Grieves was fired by Maj. Gen. Matthew Glavy, commander of 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, due to an off-duty incident that was not properly reported.

Grieves was arrested Dec. 16 at her home in Sneads Ferry, North Carolina, and charged with simple assault, Maj. C. D. Thomas of the Onslow County Sheriff's Office told The incident happened around 3 a.m. and stemmed from a domestic argument, according to the arrest report. She was released on a $500 bond the charge is still pending, Thomas said.

Related content:

Grieves, who enlisted in 1990 and would earn a commission eight years later, gained a level of celebrity when she became the first woman to ever command Marine One.

In 2009, ABC News named her a "person of the week" as she wrapped up her one-year tour in the post, reporting that her final flight featured an all-female crew. She also received a personal acknowledgment and send-off from then-President Barack Obama.

"As far as the female crews go, I was so incredibly proud of both of them when we came and landed," she told the outlet at the time. "Everything about [the flight] has probably made my Marine Corps career. And if I were to retire in six months, I would retire knowing that I've been part of an exceptional organization."

Grieves took command of HMH-464 in May 2015, according to her official biography. She previously served as a commander for other aircraft in Marine Helicopter Squadron 1, which supplies Marine One. After departing HMX-1 in 2009, she studied at the Marine Corps Command and Staff College. She would later deploy to Djibouti with HMH-461 out of New River in 2010 and to Afghanistan with HMH-464 in 2011.

Her awards include two Air Medals-Individual Action, three Meritorious Service Medals, five Air Medals-Strike/Flight, and the Combat Action Ribbon.

Grieves, who assumed command of the squadron in May 2016, has been replaced by Lt. Col Troy Callahan, formerly of Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron One (VMX-1), as commander of the squadron. Grieves will be reassigned within II Marine Expeditionary Force.

The Ancient Kingdom of Leinster[1]

UNDER this head will be given the history and topography of the ancient territories comprised in the present counties of Wexford, Wicklow, and Carlow, with their chiefs and clans, and the possessions of each in ancient and modern times. The territory of "Hy-Cinsealach" [Hy-Kinsela] derived its name from Enna Cinsealach, King of Leinster in the time of St. Patrick and comprised at one time the present counties of Wexford and Carlow, with some adjoining parts of Wicklow, Kilkenny, and Queen's County.

O'Dugan, the learned historian of the O'Kellys, princes of Hy-Maine, gives a full account of all the chiefs and clans of Leath Cuin (i.e. Conn of the Hundred Battles' half of Ireland or the kingdoms of Meath, Ulster, and Connaught&mdashsee No. 83, page 67), and collected part of the topography of Leinster but O'Heerin, another learned historian, who died A.D. 1420, wrote a continuation of O'Dugan's Topography, commencing thus: Tuilleadh Feasa air Eirinn Oigh, or "An Addition of Knowledge on Sacred Erin" in which he gives an account of all the chiefs and clans of Leath Mogha (i.e. Mogha's half of Ireland or the kingdoms of Leinster and Munster), and the territories they possessed in the twelfth century.


[1] Leinster: The ancient kingdom of Leinster comprised the present counties of Wexford, Wicklow, Carlow, and Queen's County, the greater part of Kildare, of King's County, Kilkenny, and that part of Dublin south of the river Liffey. Parts of Kilkenny bordering on Tipperary, and the southern parts of the King's County, belonged to ancient Munster and some of the northern part of the King's County belonged to the province of Meath. The above named territories continued to be the limits of Leinster down to the reign of Queen Elizabeth but in after times the old kingdom of Meath was added to Leinster, and also the county Louth, which was a part of the ancient kingdom of Ulster.

Leinster in early times was called Gaillian or Coigeadh Gaillian, from its being possessed by the tribe of Firvolgians called Fir-Gaillian, signifying spear-men but it afterwards got the name of Laighean [Laen] from the following circumstance: A few centuries before the Christian era, an Irish prince, named Labhra Loingseach or Laura of the Ships (Latinized Lauradius Navalis), having been banished to Gaul, became commander of the forces to the king of that country: and afterwards led an army of Gauls to Ireland for the recovery of the crown. He landed at a place more lately called Lough Garman (now Wexford Bay), and proceeded to Dinnrigh, an ancient fortress of the kings of Leinster, which was situated near the river Barrow, between Carlow and Leighlin, and there put to death the Monarch Cobthach Caolbhreagh (No. 60, page 355), son of the Monarch Hugony the Great and became himself the Ardrigh of Ireland. The name "Garman" was afterwards applied to the whole of the territory now forming the county Wexford and the people called "Garmans," because this Gaulish colony who settled there came from those parts of Germany adjoining Gaul. The Gaulish troops brought over by Laura were armed with green broad-headed spears, called Laighin, which were introduced amongst all the forces of the province: hence it got the name of Coigeadh [coogu] Laighean or the "province of the spears" and from Laighean or Laen came the name Laen-Tir, which has been anglicised "Leinster" or the Territory of the Spears.

When the Firvolgians invaded Ireland, some of them landed in large force in Connaught, at Erris, in Mayo and were called Firdomnians or Damnonians. Another body of them landed under one of their commanders named Slainge, the son of Dela, at a place called after him Inbhear Slainge [Inver Slaney], now the Bay of Wexford, from which the river "Slaney" takes its name. These Firvolgians were called Fir-Gaillian or spear-men as already mentioned and possessed the counties of Wexford, Wicklow, and Carlow, under the name of "Galenii" or "Galenians." This territory was in after ages called Hy-Cinsealach, which derived its name from Enna Cinsealach, King of Leinster at the advent of St. Patrick to Ireland and comprised the present counties of Wexford and Carlow, with some adjoining parts of Wicklow, Kilkenny, and Queen's County.

The territories now forming the counties of Dublin and Kildare are connected with some of the earliest events in Irish history: Partholan or Bartholinus, the Scythian, who planted the first colony in Ireland, had his residence at Binn Eadair, now the Hill of Howth. At this place Bartholinus was cut off by a plague, together with his entire colony all of whom were buried, according to some authors, at Moy-nEalta or the Plain of Birds, afterwards called Clontarf but according to O'Brien these people were buried at a place called Tamlachta Muintir Partholain (signifying the burial cairns of the people of Bartholinus), which is now the Hill of Tallaght, near Dublin. Crimthann Niadh-Nar, Monarch of Ireland when Christ was born (see No. 75, page 356), had his chief residence and fortress, called Dun Crimthann or Crimthann's Fort, on the Hill of Howth and so had Conary the Great, the 97th Monarch of Ireland. Crimthann Niadh-Nar was a famous warrior, celebrated for his military expeditions to Gaul and Britain and brought to Ireland from foreign countries many valuable spoils, amongst other things a gilded war-chariot, two hounds coupled together with a silver chain, and valued at three hundred cows according to the Glossary of King Cormac MacCullenan of Cashel, this was the first introduction of greyhounds into Ireland. The ancient Irish kings and chieftains (like their Celtic or Scythian ancestors), as well as those of Gaul and Britain, fought in war-chariots, in the same manner as did Maud (elsewhere mentioned), the famous heroine and Queen of Connaught and as did the British Queen Boadicea, etc. Numerous memorials of the most remote ages still exist in the counties of Dublin and Kildare, as in all other parts of Ireland of which full accounts may be found in D'Alton's History of the County, and of the Archbishops of Dublin Ware's and Grose's Antiquities Vallancey's Collectanea, etc.&mdashCONNELLAN.

ARKANSAS COUNTIES (Missouri Counties are listed in the next section below on this page) :

Baxter County, Arkansas:

Adams * Aylor * Bodenhamer * Carter * Casey * Coventon * Cypert * Dearmore * Dyer * Eatman * Hancock * Harper * Henley * Herron * Hilton * Horton * Hurst * Jordan * Littlefield * Livingston * Martin * McPherson * Morrow * Nelson * Patterson * Rouse * Simpson * Tracy * Wolf *

Boone County, Arkansas:

Adair * Aderhalt * Andrews * Bailey * Baker * Bolinger * Briscoe * Bunch * Cantrell * Capps * Cecil * Clendenin * Coffey * Coker * Dodson * Eoff * Estes * Fancher * Floyd * Fulbright * Garvin * Gass * Gray * Greever * Hindes * Holt * Hopper * Houck * Hudgins * Hull * Jobe * Johnson * Keener * King * Kirby * McCormick * McKinney * McMillan * Middleton * Miles * Morrow * Murphy * Newman * Nicholson * Norman * Penn * Phillips * Pumphrey * Rhodes * Robinson * Ruble * Ryan * Saffer * Singletary * Smilie * Stone * Story * Thornton * Tipton * Walters * Weatherly * Weaver * Youngblood *

Carroll County, Arkansas:

Cleburne County, Arkansas:

Brooks * England * Garner * Guthrie * Harmon * Hornbarger * Irvine * Moore * Patterson * Thompson * Wallace * Wilson * Wood *

Crawford County, Arkansas:

Izard County, Arkansas:

Madison County, Arkansas:

Marion County, Arkansas:

Adams * Angle * Berry * Black * Brady * Brooksher * Brown * Cantrell * Coker * Cowdrey * Davenport * Davis * Dodd * Elam * Estes * Flippin * Floyd * Gilley * Jenkins * Jones * Keesee * Keeter * Layton * McBee * McCracken * McDowell * McEntire * Musick * Owens * Pace * Pierce * Pigg * Rea * Seawel * Stanly * Weast * Wickersham * Wilson * Wood * Young *

Newton County, Arkansas:

Brisco * Carlton * Casey * Floyd * Gillmore * Hale * Harrison * Heffley * Hudson * Jones * LeGrand * Magness * Martin * McCutcheon * McPherson * Moss * Murphy * O'Daniel * Phillips * Salmon * Thompson *

Searcy County, Arkansas:

Arnold * Boyd * Bratton * Brewer * Campbell * Cooper * Davenport * Graves * Griffin * Harrell * Hatchett * Hodges * Leslie * Mays * McBride * McNair * Rambo * Redwine * Sooter * Stephenson * Wasson * Wyatt *

Stone County, Arkansas:

Beckham * Cothron * Dearien * Evetts * Franks * Grigsby * Halliburton * Hess * Hinkle * Kemp * Lancaster * Looney * Maloy * Nelson * Richardson * Risner * Storey * Tubbs * Webb * Williamson *

Van Buren County, Arkansas:

Gentry County, Missouri History and Genealogy

An informative and historical overview of Gentry County, Missouri including two separate sections on one CD which include 17 historical maps (1851, 1862, 1876, 1888, 1889, 1890, 1899, 1902, 1904, 1911, 1913, 1920's, 1922, 1929, 1939, 1948-49, and 1950) showing the locations of 36 settlements plus the full 1882 National Historical Publishing Company History of Gentry County, Missouri book including 399 family biographies. An important resource for the study and research of Gentry County, Missouri history (including Civil War history) and genealogy.

Fully searchable - find any name or location instantly!

This fascinating and detailed CD contains ALL of the following material in two separate sections, ALL on one CD:

Section One of two, all on one CD: Maps of Gentry County, Missouri
Included here are the North West region of Missouri sections of 17 different historical maps:

A. A rare 1851 map that shows the area of Gentry County, Missouri just ten years after Gentry County was formed. Location shown: Bearden * Gay's Mills * Sandsville *

B. A map of 1862 (during the Civil War) Gentry County, Missouri showing the the locations of three settlements: Albany * Gentryville * Yolo *

C. A map of 1876 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 13 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Ellenorah * Gentryville * Havana * Hugginsville * Island City * King City * Mt. Pleasant * Newcastle * Philander * Union Grove * Yolo *

D. A map of 1888 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 20 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Berlin * Darlington * Douglas * Ellenorah * Enyart * Evona * Ford City * Gara * Gentry * Island City * King City * Lone Star * McCurry * New Castle * Stanberry * Union Grove * Voyage * Whitten *

E. A map of 1889 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 22 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Berlin * Darlington * Douglas * Ellenorah * Ellington * Enyart * Evona * Ford * Gentryville * Havana * Hugginsville * Island City * Lone Star * McFall * Mt. Pleasant * New Castle * Regency * Stanberry * Union Grove * Yalo (Yolo) *

F. A map of 1890 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 21 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Berlin * Darlington * Douglas * Ellenorah * Ellington * Enyart * Evona * Flint Station (Ford) * Gara * Gentryville * Huggins * Island City * King City * Lone Star * McCurry * McFall * Stanberry * Union Grove * Whitton *

G. A map of 1899 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 21 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Berlin * Darlington * Douglas * Ellenorah * Enyart * Evona * Ford City * Gara * Gentryville * Island City * King City * Lone Star * McCurry * McFall * New Castle * Stanberry * Union Grove * Voyage * Whitton *

H. A map of 1902 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 18 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthusgrove (Alanthus Grove) * Albany * Berlin * Darlington * Ellenorah * Evona * Ford City * Gara * Gentryville * Island City * King City * Lonestar (Lone Star) * McCurry * McFall * Newcastle (New Castle) * Stanberry * Uniongrove (Union Grove) * Voyage *

I. A map of 1904 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 20 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthusgrove (Alanthus Grove) * Albany * Berlin * Darlington * Douglas * Enyart * Evona * Ford City * Gara * Gentry * Gentryville * Island City * King City * Lonestar (Lone Star) * McCurry * McFall * Newcastle * Stanberry * Voyage * Whitton * The 1904 map of Gentry County can be viewed here: Gentry County, Missouri 1904 Map

J. A map of 1911 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 20 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthusgrove (Alanthus Grove) * Albany * Albany Junction * Berlin * Darlington * Douglas * Effingham * Enyart * Evona * Ford City * Gara * Gentry * Gentryville * Island City * King City * McCurry * McFall * Stanberry * Ulah * Whitton *

K. A map of 1913 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 16 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Albany Junction * Berlin * Darlington * Enyart * Evona * Ford City * Gara * Gentry * Gentryville * Island City * King City * McCurry * Stanberry * Whitton *

L. A map from the 1920's which includes details of where various tourist sites and service stations were located.

M. A map of 1922 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 21 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Albany Junction * Berlin * Darlington * Douglas * Effingham * Enyart * Ettie V. * Evona * Ford City * Gara * Gentry * Gentryville * Island City * King City * McCurry * McFall * Stanberry * Voyage * Whitton *

N. A 1929 map from the Missouri Department of Transportation. You will be amazed at how many of the major routes were only dirt or gravel! Shows the location of: Albany * Evona * Ford City * Gentry * King City * McFall * Stanberry * Whitten *

O. A map of 1939 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 10 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus (Alanthus Grove) * Albany * Darlington * Evona * Ford City * Gentry * Gentryville * King City * McFall * Stanberry *

P. A map of 1948-49 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 10 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Darlington * Evona * Ford City * Gentry * Gentryville * King City * McFall * Stanberry *

Q. A map of 1950 Gentry County, Missouri showing the locations of 10 different settlements including all of the following: Alanthus Grove * Albany * Darlington * Evona * Ford City * Gentry * Gentryville * King City * McFall * Stanberry *

Section Two of two, all on one CD: The complete 1882 History of Gentry County, Missouri by National Historical Publishing Company
This detailed (446 pages in all) 1882 history has an incredible amount of historical and genealogical information about Gentry County, Missouri from its earliest settlement up to 1882. This is an exact photo replica of all the pages pertaining to Gentry County, Missouri including all of the historical and family biographical information. Included are a total of 399 different Gentry County, Missouri family biographies - family histories.

Here is just some of the information included:

Included is a total of 464 Gentry County, Missouri family biographies (valuable for genealogy) including each of the following family surnames:
(well over 1000 other family surnames are also mentioned throughout the book text and within these family biographies): To view a sample biography, click here Adkisson * Akes * Albin * Aleshire * Alexander * Alleman * Allen * Allenbrand * Ambrose * Armstrong * Arnold * Austin * Baker * Barkley * Barnett * Bedford * Bennett * Berry * Bigelow * Bithel * Black * Bland * Blaylock * Bower * Bowman * Branham * Brooks * Brown * Browne * Buhl * Bulla * Burnett * Burt * Burton * Butler * Buttler * Byrne * Campbell * Canaday * Carson * Carter * Case * Caster * Chamberlain * Chappell * Childers * Chilton * Chips * Chittenen * Chittim * Clabaugh * Clark * Claycomb * Cline * Coffey * Cogdill * Compton * Comstock * Coppersmith * Cranor * Crawford * Crow * Crume * Culp * Cunningham * Dallas * Dator * Davidson * Davis * Day * Degginger * Depriest * Dickens * Dougherty * Doyle * Duke * Dunagan * Duncan * Dyke * Earnst * Eierdanz * Elam * Elliott * Embree * Enyart * Evans * Ewing * Farr * Ferguson * Fisher * Fitzgerald * Flood * Floyd * Fore * Frazee * Gannaway * Gardner * Garman * Gartin * Gehring * Gibbony * Gillespie * Gladstone * Glendenning * Goodman * Graham * Grantham * Green * Greenwell * Gribble * Grimsley * Gulick * Hadley * Hamilton * Hammer * Hardin * Hardwick * Hardy * Harkrider * Harsel * Hash * Hathaway * Haver * Hawk * Hawkins * Haynes * Hazen * Headington * Herman * Hill * Hindman * Hinkley * Hinote * Holloway * Hoover * Houston * Howard * Howell * Hubbard * Hudson * Humber * Humphrey * Hunt * Hunter * Hussey * Jacoby * Jewett * Johnston * Jones * Jordan * Kellogg * Kelly * Kemp * Kenyon * Kessler * Kier * Kile * Korn * Kratzer * Kutzner * Lainhart * Larmer * Law * Lee * Leonard * Levy * Lewis * Liggett * Lins * Lowary * Madden * Magee * Mahoney * Manring * Marrs * Mastin * McAllaster * McCammon * McCarty * McCaslin * McClanahan * McCullough * McCully * McCurry * McFall * McGuire * McKenny * McNeese * Meek * Meyer * Millen * Miller * Milligan * Mitchell * Monger * Morgan * Morris * Murphy * Myrck * Needels * Newman * Noble * Norman * Odenweller * Olds * O'Malley * Owen * Owings * Patchin * Patton * Peck * Peery * Peters * Pettite * Pierce * Pittsenbargar * Pomeroy * Posey * Potter * Powers * Price * Pulsifer * Purviance * Quiqley * Rainey * Rannells * Rardin * Reynolds * Richardson * Rogers * Ross * Rowe * Roy * Rucker * Rudolph * Rund * Rusk * Russ * Salisbury * Sampson * Schmitz * Scott * Sellers * Setzer * Shattuck * Shelly * Shepherd * Shisler * Shockley * Shoemaker * Shull * Shultz * Siddons * Simonds * Sisler * Smith * Spainhower * Spessard * Stansbury * Stapleton * Stephan * Stephenson * Stewart * Stillwaugh * Stockton * Stotts * Strock * Styles * Sweat * Sylvester * Taggart * Taylor * Teenor * Thomas * Timmons * Tomblin * Tomlinson * Townsend * Trotter * Turner * Twist * Vance * Vansandt * Waggoner * Wales * Walker * Ward * Watkins * Watts * Wayman * Weaver * Weimer * Weller * Wertz * Whaley * Wharton * Wheeler * White * Whiteley * Whitney * Whitton * Williams * Witton * Winchester * Wood * Woods * Woodside * Yates * Yeater *

Gentry County is located in north west Missouri and bordered by: Andrew County, Missouri * DeKalb County, Missouri * Daviess County, Missouri * Harrison County, Missouri * Worth County, Missouri * and Nodaway County, Missouri * (click on highlighted county names for a complete description)

Each of the two sections on this CD is in Adobe Acrobat pdf format and requires the free Acrobat Reader program to view. You probably already have this program on your computer but if not, a free copy of the program is included on the CD. Each of the books is designed to look just like a regular book and is bookmarked to move easily and quickly from one section another. This CD was designed by, and is available exclusively from Hearthstone Legacy Publications.

Fully searchable - find any name or location instantly!

The cost for this CD containing both sections described above is only $9.95 plus shipping, or only $5.95 as a digital download. A large amount of history and genealogy information for very little cost! A truly fascinating view of Gentry County, Missouri from its first settlement to 1882.

Shipping is only $1.95 for First Class Mail in the United States and Canada. If outside of the United States, please contact us for shipping costs. We accept checks, money orders and all major credit cards via the shopping cart, mail, or by phone at 816-204-7593.

A Literary History of Greece Robert Flacelière: A Literary History of Greece. Translated by Douglas Garman. Pp. x + 395 13 plates. London: Elek Books, 1964. Cloth, 42s. net [Book Review]

This site uses cookies and Google Analytics (see our terms & conditions for details regarding the privacy implications).

Use of this site is subject to terms & conditions.
All rights reserved by The PhilPapers Foundation

Page generated Tue Jun 29 20:46:08 2021 on philpapers-web-b76fb567b-jxzfk Debug information

cache stats: hit=9385, miss=13683, save=
autohandler : 322 ms
called component : 302 ms
entry : 301 ms
similar_entries : 155 ms
entry_basics : 83 ms
entry-header : 71 ms
menu : 67 ms
entry_stats : 19 ms
get_entry : 9 ms
entry-cats : 8 ms
entry-links : 7 ms
entry-side : 6 ms
citations-references : 3 ms
prepCit : 3 ms
entry_chapters : 2 ms
citations-citations : 2 ms
writeLog : 1 ms
entry_stats_query : 1 ms
save cache object : 0 ms
init renderer : 0 ms
retrieve cache object : 0 ms
setup : 0 ms
auth : 0 ms
stat_db : 0 ms
entry-buttons : 0 ms

Watch the video: SPANISH X GERMAN - MASHUP 13 Songs. Mia. Copacabana. Chantaje. Bella Donna. Prod. by Hayk