A Mimac Indian word meaning "to encounter."
(YTB-548: dp. 218; 1. 100'.; b. 25'; dr. 11'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8; cl. Hisada)
Matunak (YTB-548) was laid down 5 March 1945 by Ira S. Bushey and Sons, Brooklyn, N.Y.; launched 28 June 1945; and delivered to the Navy 21 December 1945.
In March 1946, Matunak entered the 16th Fleet the Atlantic Inactive Fleet, and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla. Activated in November 1950, the tug was assigned to the 3d Naval District and reported to 'Submarine Base, New London, Conn., in January 1951. Redesignated YTM-548 in February 1962, Matunak has continued, into 1969, to render towing services and recover torpedoes fired in the Thames River and adjacent waters during submarine training exercises.
Matunak YTB-548 - History
The coastal plain that makes up the ocean front of the Rhode Island mainland begins in the northern reaches of the Town of Narragansett, stretches around and across Point Judith Neck, and flanks the Atlantic coast all the way to Watch Hill at Westerly. In its narrowest width at the north, it is less than a mile wide, and it widens out to three or four miles deep along the Atlantic rim. Its ocean fringe is ornamented by a watery lace of salt ponds, which are regularly washed by the sea and are home to a rich variety of marine life. The pierced-earring like ponds are fastened to the ocean by natural and man-made breach ways. Until the Town of Narragansett was set off on its own in 1901, a major portion of this coastline was in the Town of South Kingstown.
South Kingstown grew out of the pioneering settlements in the 17th century, known as the Pettaquamscutt Purchase. These scattered farms which benefited from the open expanse of the coastal plain did not really flourish until the Native American claims and the litigious strife of competing colonial land companies of Massachusetts, Connecticut, with Rhode Island were extinguished in the early 1700s.
Unlike the other English settlements in New England which were carved out of forests, the agricultural pursuits of the Rhode Island farmers were susceptible to pasturing flock and herd animals as opposed to crop fields. This direction led, in the words of one historian, “to an aristocracy of stock farmers and dairy men.” Although the term usually applied to the owners of these larger than usual estates was “The Narragansett Planters,” their operations acquired the aspect of sheep and cattle ranches. In particular, the area became noted for one of America’s first horse breeds, the Narragansett Pacer.
Many of the first families of this ‘planter class’ owed their origins to a practice by Newport merchant families of sending their younger offspring into this new country to establish extensive ‘farms’ that would produce marketable cargoes for the counting houses of Newport. The Newport influence in the rising coastal towns also provided political power to the merchant elites as their children often sent deputies to the Rhode Island General Assembly who supported the Newport position in colonial politics.
Following the end of the American Revolution, in the last decades of the 18th century however, the golden age of the Narragansett Planters began to wane. The Narragansett Pacer breed died out. Many of the large estates shrunk as the large families continued to subdivide their properties to provide inheritances. The large slave population that had made up the field hands on these properties were freed due to influences of the Quaker and Anglican reformers, and further slavery was abolished by the state. Many of these black folks migrated north seeking work on the docks of Providence, which by this time had replaced Newport as a center of shipping.
Economic activity in the early 19th century in the South County towns then shifted towards harnessing the swift-flowing interior streams to new milling technology. Peacedale and Wakefield developed along with a string of textile villages on both sides of the Pawcatuck River.
The other major change occurred by mid-19th century. That was the growing recognition of the possibility to use the very edges of the coastal plain for the surf and beach recreation. The idea of play and idleness had been counter to the Puritan and Dissenting theologies of the early settlers. Not until the 19th century were the physical health and positive psychological values of recreation acceptable to New England society. The idea of vacations and holiday relaxation gained popularity and social approval.
The leisure possibilities of the beach areas first appeared at Narragansett. As early as the 1780s, John Robinson had built a pier to facilitate the commercial activities of fishermen and farmers. By the mid 1840s, however, the steamboats arriving at Narragansett Pier were carrying people interested in availing themselves of the bathing and relaxation of the beach. Matunuck Beach appeared on a map of the area in 1857. A guide book of 1873 listed a hotel at Matunuck.
Twenty years later a “writer of pleasant places in Rhode Island” called Matunuck a popular place for Providence people, ‘more so, perhaps, than any other surf beach along the coast.’ A reporter, writing for newspaper in 1895, described a hotel at Matunuck that could accommodate 125 guests it had been built in 1880, enlarged in 1884, and once again the year of his article. Along the beach that year, on a local map, there were bath houses. The writer of the newspaper article indicated, however, that the summer life was dull in comparison to Narragansett Pier, but provided rest and health. One of those local farmers who opened his house for summer visitors was George M. Browning. He called it the Ocean Star Cottage. His barn eventually morphed into the Theater-by-Sea, still in operation today.
In the last quarter of the 19th century, substantial summer houses began to appear back from the beach, along the Post Road and just beyond in an area, known as Matunuck Hills. Edward Everett Hale, who wrote, The Man Without a Country, and poems and ballads set in the Matunuck region, joined historian, William B. Weeden as notable summer residents. Boston area writers came, too. In the 20th century, the arrival of automobiles and improved paved roads led to a dense population of cottages and hotels at Matunuck Beach. Nearby Green Hill also developed at this time. A life-saving station opened here in 1912. Carpenter’s Beach began as a tent colony and then expanded to sea-side cottages.
From the Hurricane of ’38 through successive storms in 1954 and 1955, however, light-weight and well-built structures along this strand were from time to time swept away. Beginning in 1956 the State Department of Public Works began acquiring storm-ravaged land by public condemnation. Additional purchases by the state occurred in 1967, and the Division of Parks and Recreation, now in DEM, built a modern beach facility and took over the care and maintenance of the beach, totaling more than 144 acres. It is formally known as East Matunuck State Beach.
Matunak YTB-548 - HistoryDid you forget your password? Click here! Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Google Register now!
Awww yeah! Your meme was successfully uploaded and it is now in moderation.
It will be published if it complies with the content rules and our moderators approve it.0
Get the app to chat with fellow memedroiders!
App extra features: meme generator, instant notifications, image/video download, achievements and many more!
The Admiral Dewey Inn History
George I. and Etta Champlin built “The Dewey Cottage” as a 15 bedroom family style, seaside boarding house hotel in 1898. The “Dewey Cottage” offered its’ guests, “good rooms and table board, all modern improvements with stable, pleasant location, good surf bathing, terms reasonable.” The Champlin’s named the cottage after Admiral George Dewey (1837-1917) who was was an instructor at Newport’s Naval Academy and more notably as the victor of the 1898 Battle of Manila Bay. He sank and captured the entire Spanish Pacific fleet destroying it without a single US casualty. He returned to America in 1899 to a hero’s welcome and a New York City parade solely in his honor.
The Champlin’s continued to operate their seaside cottage until the late 1930’s at which point the cottage changed ownership. By the early 1970’s, the cottage had become vacant and would remain vacant until Joan LeBel rescued it in 1986. She renamed the “Dewey Cottage” to the Admiral Dewey Inn. She then set out on the daunting task of fully restoring the cottage. This meant the first time ever, installation of plumbing and heating as well as ensuring the structure met all fire codes. She even moved the structure temporarily and gave it a new foundation! Joan truly restored the spirit of the cottage and successfully re-established it as a seaside resort.
In the 19th and 20th centuries, the Rhode Island shore gained in notoriety as a place of resort and recreation. The area 1915 “Directory of Summer Residents” reveals that visitors traveled from as far away as Brooklyn and Peeskill, New York Waltham, MA and New Haven, CT while, the majority of visitors were from Rhode Island, most notably Providence and the towns of the Blackstone Valley, and nearby Massachusetts, especially the Attleboroughs. Carriages from “The Dewey Cottage” met trains at the “Wakefield Station” and in the area’s heyday (1898-1925) as many as 500 visitors a day arrived at Matunuck Beach. Summer families, who didn’t maintain permanent residences, usually came to stay for the season – July 1 to August 15th. The “Dewey Cottage” was one of six such popular Matunuck Beach hotels (the Atlantic House, Buena Vista Cottage, Matunuck Beach Hotel, the Ocean Star, and the Park House). A Providence Journal article (c. 1895) reported that the life of Matunuck Beach’s visitors was “a dull and stupid life when you compare with the Pier folks but it suits them and gives them rest and health.”
Matunuck was known and continues to remain a “simple seaside destination, not a fashionable resort like Narragansett Pier or Newport”. And today, the Admiral Dewey Inn is the only one that remains intact and in its original use.
THE MATUNUCK OYSTER BAR
2002 | Ocean State Aqua Farm
Matunuck Oyster Farm originates as a 1-acre shellfish farm in Potter Pond and with the support from the RI Seagrant, the farm serves as an educational platform to inform the community about the ecosystem benefits of shellfish farming
2004 | Rhody Oysters
First distribution of Matunuck Oysters to restaurants and farmers markets across RI
2006 | From 41° N, 71° W and Beyond
Matunuck Oysters are sold to restaurants and wholesalers across the nation in cities such as Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington DC
2007 | Expanding One Acre at a Time
To accommodate the growing demand of seafood, the Matunuck Oyster Farm expand its operation to a 7-acre lease
2008 | Local Solutions to a Global Problem
Matunuck Oyster Farm merges forces with various federal and state agencies in an effort to restore oyster reefs across RI and protect the health of local marine ecosystems
2009 | Pond to Plate
The Matunuck Oyster Bar opens on July 1st, with the mission of providing fresh local seafood, simply served, in a friendly comfortable atmosphere
2011 | Organic Farming
Matunuck Organic Vegetable Farm establishes on the northern edge of Potter Pond to provide the oyster bar with fresh, locally grown, USDA organic certified produce.
2013 | Global Recognition
The Matunuck Oyster Bar named “Top 10 Oyster Bars in the World” by USA Today.
2018 | The Matunuck Hatchery
In collaboration with URI, a pilot scale shellfish hatchery begins at the Matunuck Marina to provide the state with locally produced oyster and bay scallop seeds
Design Control Reference. The primary number used to identify an item of production or a range of items of production, by the manufacturer (individual, company, firm, corporation, or Government activity) which controls the design, characteristics, and production of the item by means of its engineering drawings, specifications and inspection requirements.
5 - Replaced / Discontinued
Reference Number Category Code (DRN_2910)
Secondary Reference. Any additional number, other than a primary number (codes 1,2,3,4) informative reference (code 6) or vendor item drawing reference (code 7) assigned to an item of production or supply by a commercial or Government organization, which represents the same item of production or supply to which the National Stock Number (NSN) was assigned. The reference number may have had an RNCC of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 7 but has since been replaced in the item-of-supply concept of the NSN by another primary number.
2 - Production Item
Reference Number Variation Code (DRN_4780)
A design control or other reference number that is an item-identifying number for an item of production, or a source control reference or a specification or standard part, type, or similar reference number that is an item-identifying number for an item of supply.
NSN 4820-01-548-6354 A30016819, A300-168-19, 01-548-6354
4820-01-548-6354 A valve permitting flow in one direction only. It does not have a stem, except when equipped with a lever and weight and has no pressure adjustment. It may be inline or cartridge (manifold) design.
Part Alternates: A30016819, A300-168-19, 4820-01-548-6354, 01-548-6354, 4820015486354, 015486354
|Supply Group (FSG)||NSN Assign.||NIIN||Item Name Code (INC)|
|48||28 FEB 2007||01-548-6354||05487 ( VALVE, CHECK )|
Demand History | NSN 4820-01-548-6354
|Part Number||Request Date||QTY||Origin||SBA|
Cross Reference | NSN 4820-01-548-6354
Request a Quote
Comments | What our customers are saying.
Thank you very much for the excellent service and professional customer care.
The service was excellent. I can think of no improvements to date that you can make regarding internet sales.
The representative for WBParts was efficient & handled our request in a timely & professional manner.
Tried two other sources, neither of them responded, was all done online, never spoke to anyone.
The response is quick and the price is often very good. We are completely satisfied.
History of Theater-by-the-Sea, Act II: The golden age of the 1950s
Scene I: Theatre-by-the-Sea, on the rebound after the difficult war years, opens the 1950s with a 1929 comedy about a speakeasy — “Strictly Dishonorable,” a title eerily similar to its very first offering, “Strictly Dynamite.”
SOUTH KINGSTOWN — After World War II, Theatre-by-the-Sea became a staple on what newspapers called the “the straw hat trail” or the “citronella circuit.” But changes were afoot that would help usher in the theater's golden era.
In 1949, The New York Times lamented that summer stock was falling “victim to the star system.” Once barn theaters had been incubators for Broadway. Now agents representing stars were calling the shots.
By then, Rhode Island occasionally drew big-name actors and actresses.
In her memoir, “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to The Honeymooners … I Had a Life,” the actress Jane Kean recalls the summer she and her sister, Betty, convinced Jackie Gleason to join them in Matunuck for a month.
Kean later played Trixie on Gleason's “The Honeymooners.” (His sidekick Art Carney also appeared at the theater, in 1956.)
Kean puts the year at 1951, but research shows the season was 1949. She recalled Gleason breaking character during a performance of the comedy “The Show-Off” to kill a spider dangling from the ceiling.
“Jackie stopped the dialogue, and squished it using the old line, ‘That's the last show you’ll see for nothing!' An old joke, but we laughed until we cried. They had to [bring] down the curtain. We couldn't get the script back on track.”
In 1951, the star system came to Matunuck in a big way when director Donald Wolin and entertainment lawyer Harold Schiff took the reins. Alice Jaynes Tyler, who had founded the theater in 1933, signed a contract with them just months before her death that April.
The pair managed to attract stars while also trying out new plays. They had a hit immediately with Judy Holliday in “Dream Girl.”
Also getting top billing that first season: Basil Rathbone, Kay Francis, Veronica Lake and Eve Arden.
The stars came to Matunuck for weekly runs, just long enough to make an impression on the populace — the moody Marlon Brando, the imperious Mae West, the perky Carol Channing. Matunuck locals traded star sightings. Audiences ate it up.
In 1952, June Havoc played the fallen woman Sadie Thompson in Somerset Maugham's “Rain.” Havoc's life as a child star and sister of stripper Gypsy Rose Lee would be immortalized in the show “Gypsy” (produced at Matunuck in 1975 and 1999).
New York Times writer Gilbert Millstein caught up with her on the Matunuck grounds “counting the box office receipts from the night before.”
But what happened later made the best copy.
During the following night's performance, the stage manager urgently told Havoc to “lower the asbestos,” meaning the fire-retardant curtain.
“Something made my blood stop running,” Havoc wrote later. “I didn't think at all, but the bucket for the surplus rain we use in the show was full, so bang, it went right into the face of a nice big spot of real fire which was climbing up the act curtain as fast as it could.”
That, coupled with an audience member grabbing a fire extinguisher, saved the day — or rather, the night, and the old barn theater.
The 1952 season also featured Mae West in a comedy called “Come on Up — Ring Twice.”
“The budget was a far cry from the good old days, and the whole cast traveled in a caravan of motor cars,” Patrick Byrne writes in his book, “Double Entendre: The Parallel Lives of Mae West and Rae Bourbon.”
Matunuck audiences didn’t mind — the show sold out.
In 1953, Brando, already famous for his stage and screen performances as Stanley Kowalski in “A Streetcar Named Desire,” had put together a summer troupe for the George Bernard Shaw play “Arms and the Man.”
Schiff told Journal reporter Jim Seavor in 1983 that they almost lost Brando when they fired the kitchen crew at the inn. Brando saw the action as racist, but Schiff persuaded him otherwise.
Stars were usually on their way up or down when they hit the straw-hat trail. Some became famous later for TV roles, such as Buddy Ebsen of “The Beverly Hillbillies” and June Lockhart of “Lassie” fame.
The 1950s brought movie stars from decades earlier, including Jackie Cooper, Groucho Marx, Claudette Colbert and Joan Bennett. Others were still big on the silver screen, including Shelley Winters, Celeste Holm and Eva Marie Saint.
But of all the Matunuck headliners, perhaps no star was brighter than Tallulah Bankhead. She arrived in 1940 for a one-week run of “The Second Mrs. Tanqueray.”
Wolin and Schiff brought her back twice, in 1954 for “Dear Charles” and in 1956 for “Welcome Darlings,” her version of the “Ziegfeld Follies.”
Despite swearing off summer stock, Bankhead wrote in 1954 in The New York Times, she was oh-so wrong.
“The discipline of the theater is my salvation,” she wrote. “Its rigid demands are my anchor. Without them I drift toward the reefs.”
An unfortunate metaphor, perhaps, considering how the 1954 season ended.
In late August, Uta Hagen and Herbert Berghof were rehearsing “Michael and Lavinia,” a satire Wolin hoped to bring to Broadway in the fall.
Mother Nature had other ideas.
The show opened on Monday night, Aug. 30, as the rain and wind picked up. The next morning, Hurricane Carol “took the roof off, ending the engagement in a fantastic form of theatrical criticism,” The Journal reported in a book about the storm.
For the second time, a hurricane had lowered the curtain. And once again, the old barn would be fixed up by the following summer — this time, reinforced with steel.
As Wolin and Schiff wrote in an ad that September, “We blew our top but we’ll be back.”
Despite their success, the two parted company after the 1957 season. Schiff had a long career as an entertainment attorney, representing such stars as Bette Davis and Rex Harrison.
Wolin headed to Venezuela to make records — literally — at a phonograph factory. He died two years later of leukemia, at age 33.
The estate of Alice Jaynes Tyler leased the theater to two more hopefuls, James Thornton Hall, who had been general manager there for three years, and Joseph Wishy, an opera director and dance producer with City Center in Manhattan.
Their inaugural season featured Zsa Zsa Gabor, Melvyn Douglas and Burgess Meredith.
But Theatre-by-the-Sea faced increasing competition from Warwick Musical Theatre, which had opened in 1955 and was showing “The King and I” and “Auntie Mame” in 1958.
Hall and Wishy reneged on their six-year lease. In 1959, Theatre-by-the-Sea was dark once again.
Scene II: Someone waits in the wings to bring the theater back to life. It will take a few false starts before the right person walks into the old barn on Cards Pond Road.
- Step 1:Song selection
- Step 2:Source frequency selection
- Step 3:Target frequency selection
- Step 4:Output format (mp3, etc.)
- Step 5:Conversion
Select a local music file, a file from a website, or a file from OneDrive or DropBox. The converter supports a wide range of input media formats, such as mp3, aac, mp4, wav, flac, ogg, m4a, avi, and many more.
The best conditions reported for surf at Matunuck occur when a Southeast swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the North-northwest .
What's the best time of year to surf Matunuck (for consistent clean waves)?
Explore Matunuck Location Map
Interactive Matunuck surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to Matunuck is Theodore Francis Green State (Providence) Airport (PVD) in USA, 40 km (25 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to Matunuck is North Central State (Smithfield) Airport (SFZ), also in USA, 61 km (38 miles) away.