History of Vamarie - History

History of Vamarie - History

Vamarie
(Yacht: t. 45 (gross); l. 70'2"; b. 15'3"; dr. 10'4"; cpl. 14)

Vamarie—a ketch-rigged ocean racing yacht designed by Jasper Morgan of Cox and Stevens, Inc.—was built in 1933 at Bremen, Germany, by Abeking and Rasmussen, for S. Vadim Makaroff of Oyster Bay, Long Island. With Makaroff at the helm, the slim racing yacht participated in nine ocean races between 1934 and 1936, sailing over 30,000 miles. Donated to the Regiment of Midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy Annapolis, Md., on 11 November 1936, Vamarie served as the Navy's racing yacht in local races in Chesapeake Bay during the racing season in 1937. The following summer, on 22 June 1938, Vamarie was entered in the race from Newport, R.I., to Bermuda marking the first time that the yacht returned to "blue water" in two years. Four days later, the yacht, commanded by Capt. John F. Shafroth, came in 18th out of 22 vessels in her class and 29th out of the 44 total entries.

Vamarie participated in further local races into 1939. On 8 March 1940 she was classified IX-47. The yacht was officially assigned to the Naval Academy on 22 October 1940 and was placed in service on 10 November 1944. She operated under the aegis of the Severn River Naval Command until authorized for disposal on 24 February 1955. Struck from the Navy list on 22 June 1955, Vamarie was broken up in December of the same year.


Vampire

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

Vampire, also spelled vampyre, in popular legend, a creature, often fanged, that preys upon humans, generally by consuming their blood. Vampires have been featured in folklore and fiction of various cultures for hundreds of years, predominantly in Europe, although belief in them has waned in modern times.

What is a vampire?

In popular legend, a vampire is a creature, often fanged, that preys upon humans, generally by consuming their blood. Vampires have been featured in folklore and fiction of various cultures for hundreds of years, predominantly in Europe, although belief in them has waned in modern times.

How are vampires commonly depicted?

A characteristic central to the vampire myth is the consumption of human blood or other essence (such as bodily fluids or psychic energy). Vampires are also depicted as possessing sharp teeth or fangs with which to facilitate this task. In most depictions vampires are “undead”—that is to say, having been somehow revived after death.

How did the legend of vampires originate?

Creatures with vampiric characteristics have appeared at least as far back as ancient Greece, where stories were told of creatures that attacked people in their sleep and drained their bodily fluids. Tales of walking corpses that drank the blood of the living and spread plague flourished in medieval Europe in times of disease.

Why is it believed that vampires hate garlic?

Many cultures have long believed in the extraordinary powers of garlic: from ancient Egypt to Romania, garlic has been used as a natural insect repellent, a natural antibiotic, and as protection against other preternatural evils. Modern belief in garlic’s curative powers against vampires likely comes from these more ancient beliefs.

What are some of the most pivotal literary representations of vampires?

Though not the first literary representation of vampires, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, published in 1897, is arguably the most important work of vampire fiction. This tale of a Transylvanian count, who uses his supernatural abilities to cause havoc in England, inspired countless works thereafter. In the 20th century Anne Rice’s novel Interview with the Vampire, published in 1976, notably introduced the world to vampires that were brooding and self-loathing and squabbled like humans.


Charles E. Hilgenberg, 92, rancher, collector, traveler

Charles Edward Hilgenberg, a former rancher in Frederick County, died June 28 of heart failure at the William Hill Manor Retirement Community in Easton. He was 92.

Mr. Hilgenberg was one of three children of the late Carl R. and Angelica H. (Gardiner) Hilgenberg of Baltimore. The family lived in Guilford.

A 1928 graduate of Gilman School, he earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Virginia in 1932. He traveled in Europe and studied at the University of Grenoble in Switzerland and the Sorbonne in France.

He returned home to work as a sales representative for his father's company, the Carr Lowrey Glass Co., working first in Baltimore and then in the New York office. He developed a large customer base for the company's glass-container manufacturing business.

Mr. Hilgenberg was a passenger on the Pan Am Dixie Clipper on June 28, 1939, the first commercial passenger flight to cross the North Atlantic.

In 1942, he enlisted in the Army Air Forces. He served as an adjutant in the 886th Squadron in San Antonio. He later was stationed in Italy and was honorably discharged with the rank of captain at the close of World War II.

He returned to New York to find he had a mild case of polio. He recuperated with his family in Baltimore before buying a cattle ranch north of San Antonio in 1947 with an Air Force friend. He named it Vamarie Ranch for a Navy yawl.

Mr. Hilgenberg returned to Maryland in 1952 and moved to Araby, a historic farm near Frederick. He restored the mansion and raised Black Angus cattle.

"He enjoyed the ranching, and when he came back east, he brought that with him," said nephew John Hilgenberg of Stevenson.

Nieces and nephews enjoyed visiting the ranch and riding around it in their uncle's Jeep.

Mr. Hilgenberg's first and second marriages ended in divorce.

In 1960, he retired with his wife, Anne Crawford Johnson Hilgenberg, to the Eastern Shore, and soon built a home, Windsong, in Royal Oak. After her death, he wed Florence Gilbert Tucker, now deceased.

Mr. Hilgenberg enjoyed traveling, and took many trips to Europe. He also collected antiques, and knew the history of his antiques, his nephew said.

He was a member of the Maryland Club.

A graveside service will be held at 11:30 a.m. July 13 at Druid Ridge Cemetery in Pikesville.

Mr. Hilgenberg is survived by a stepson, F. Lewis Carlisle of Easton two stepdaughters, Denise Evans Alexandre LeCompte of Greenwich, Conn., and Ilse S. Rollow of Washington and numerous nieces and nephews.


The Forgotten History of Two New Orleans Vampires

The French Quarter property supposed to have been the Carter brothers’ residence.

Vampires come in many fictional forms, some of them serious, some of them silly. But what form do real vampires come in? Do vampires exist? There is a fascinating and suggestive tale from the history of New Orleans, one of America’s most haunted cities. Indeed, the gruesome story of the Carter brothers reveals something about vampires — and maybe about the Crescent City itself.

The Carter Bros.

The year was 1932. A young girl stormed down Royal Street, visibly panicked, her stride broken only by the diligent interception of a police officer. Her story sounded a bit farfetched: tied up by two brothers, along with several other victims, and held captive so the brothers could drink their blood.

The girl claimed that she was only able to escape due to her captors’ carelessness in securing her ropes. Somewhat skeptical, the police agreed to follow her back to the home on the corner of Royal and St. Ann. Once the police and the girl arrived at the home, which was owned by the Carter brothers, they were horrified to find, as the girl had described, four other victims, half-dead, tied to chairs in one of the rooms.

All victims had their wrists wrapped with bandages, moist and stained with blood. Two more bodies wrapped in blankets were tucked away in yet another room. The unmistakable suffocating odor of death permeated the apartment.

It seemed the brothers left early each morning just before daybreak and returned every evening just after dark. Immediately upon their return, they would take the bandages off each of the captive’s wrists and, using a knife, reopen their wounds until blood flowed freely from the victims’ cuts. They caught the blood in cups from which they drank until their hunger was sated. The brothers would then redress the wounds with fresh bandages. They spoke very little and gave no concern for their victims’ well-being. Rather, the kidnapped were no more than a food source headed for certain death.

Unaware that the girl had escaped, John and Wayne Carter went about their routine as usual. Only this time, the police waited for the brothers to return. They were quickly apprehended, and upon their capture, confessed almost immediately, begging to be murdered. The brothers explained to authorities that they were, in fact, vampires and would, if released, have no option but to continue to kill, as their need for drinking blood was beyond their control. It’s said the brothers were tried as serial killers, convicted and eventually executed.

Shaped by the Crescent City

How was it that the brothers, thinking themselves vampires, gifted with eternal life, could be so careless in their plans for survival? Perhaps it was the drastic changing environment in New Orleans that ultimately led to their demise.

During the early 1900s and Roaring Twenties, the city of New Orleans was bustling and booming. The busiest port in the country brought flourishing business and plenty of jobs. In fact, the city was coined “The Big Easy” because, at the time, work in New Orleans was so easy to find. A surplus of disposable income triggered a new sense of freedom with the celebration of nightclubs, new energetic music called jazz, loose women, the Storyville district, and excitement that was unmeasurable to anything the city had ever seen. It was a time of “anything goes,” footloose and fancy-free, that also created carelessness among residents and visitors to the city. No one was thinking of danger. If vampires truly had been in New Orleans at the time, it would surely have been easy to feast.

Carefree New Orleans, 1920s. Courtesy of the Ralston Crawford Collection, Hogan Jazz Archive, Tulane University. Image sourced from New Orleans Vampires.

However, just a decade later came the stock market crash and with it the Great Depression. Everything changed almost overnight. People stayed at home, kept to themselves. The only wanderers were derelicts who roamed the city in search of a little easy work for something to eat. The downtrodden could often be found begging for food at the back doors of the homes of fine citizens for a little yard work. More often than not, these vagrants were granted work and a plate of food but were never invited into the home. Rather they sat with their plates on the porch steps, thankful for every morsel. The rug had been pulled out from underneath what had been a flourishing city, and lifestyles changed dramatically. New Orleans, however, known for its southern hospitality, has always found the most heartfelt way to care for its people. Dr. Peter Carl Graffagnion, a student at the time, reflects on the 1930s in his journal. He gives a lovely description of the environment in New Orleans for a youngster on a budget headed for medical school. It seems that seeking out the affordable meal in depressed New Orleans was part of the adventure:

Meanwhile, in spite of its prolonged poverty and political troubles, New Orleans in the 1930s was an interesting and enjoyable place in which to spend the student years. The living was easy. Food was cheap a “poor-boy” sandwich (a half loaf of French bread sliced longitudinally, spread with mayonnaise, and packed with hot roast beef and fixings) cost 25 cents a five or six course lunch at Maylie’s or Tujague’s was 50 cents and in the lake front spots at West End near Bucktown you could eat your fill of boiled shrimp or crabs or crawfish for almost nothing and wash them down with a nickel glass of beer. The French Quarter then, even though subdued and at one of its low ebbs, was probably at its best from a student viewpoint. The droves of today’s investing tourists were nowhere to be seen the handful of drug addicts and reefer-smokers kept to themselves and stayed hidden there was only an occasional honky-tonk or second-rate night club along all of Bourbon Street, and you could wander around the whole Quarter in complete safety and innocence and never find trouble unless you deliberately set out to seek it

New Orleans Today

One can still find the charm in simple, delicious meals when on a budget or simply desiring a little New Orleans tradition. Complimentary red beans and rice can be found on Mondays, also known as washday, in ample supply in several historical restaurants and in many nightclubs through the city. Traditionally, women would put on a pot of red beans in the morning before they started the weekly laundry and, when the laundry was done, so were the rice and beans. Plate specials and private suppers are frequently hosted by families asking under ten dollars a plate for a healthy portion, and daily specials all throughout the city for traditional New Orleans cuisine are plentiful, even in modern-day New Orleans. For a vampire, New Orleans, when it comes to acquiring adequate nutrition, would have changed just as much as it did for mortals.

Tujague’s Restaurant. Author’s collection. Image sourced from New Orleans Vampires.

In the 1930s, for a vampire, stalking vagabonds would likely have been the most reliable source of food. If the Carter brothers and vampires existed in 1930s New Orleans, it would most likely have been the environment of the city at that time that would have led to their mistake. The time of feeding on prostitutes and carefree dock workers was long gone. It was a depressing time, so feeding on the misfortune of derelicts who had nowhere to turn but to the invitation of a vampire was their peril. It is possible that a young girl may have witnessed the capture of such a derelict and the Carter brothers had no choice but to take the youngster hostage as well. One would hope that it was a fluke that such a young victim was reportedly among the brothers’ captives, but realistically, what morals do a vampire hold?


Sources

  • Frank Graham, Elsdon, Otterburn and Redesdale, Howe Bros.:Newcastle upon Tyne, 1976, pg. 7
  • Bernard Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, London, 1863.
  • George MacDonald Fraser, The Steel Bonnets: the Story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers, Harper Collins, London, 1995
  • >Francis James Child, English and Scottish popular ballads Volume XXVII, Boston: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1904.
  • John Lang, Stories of the Border Marches, Dodge Publishing Company, New York, 1916, p. 228.

People sharing the Reed surname

There are many notable people who share the Reed surname. These people are listed below to provide a partial geographical and time reference for use of this name. People listed below are presumed to be Caucasian race|caucasian unless otherwise indicated parenthetically this information is included as ethnicity is an important parameter in name studies. Ethnicities found below include African American and Jewish. Multiple items on a line is indicated by a superscript number associated with country of origin. All information included in the list below has been drawn from the referenced articles without input from other external sources.


Josephine Hartford Bryce, 88, Philanthropist and Sportswoman

Josephine Hartford Bryce, a philanthropist, sportswoman and musician, died on Monday at her home on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. She was 88 years old.

She had been bedridden and in declining health for six months, but the exact cause of her death was unclear, said her son-in-law, Senator Claiborne Pell, the Rhode Island Democrat.

Mrs. Bryce was a granddaughter of George Huntington Hartford, the founder of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, and she was a longtime trustee of the John A. Hartford Foundation, which donates money for medical research. Active in Horse Racing

She was active in horse racing for decades, and numerous horses that she owned raced at Saratoga, Belmont and Aquaduct in the United States and also in Britain. Her racing colors were red and orange, and she owned Mill River Stable in South Arlington, Vt., and had a horse-breeding establishment at Moyns Park in Essex County north of London. Her best-known horses included Miss Grillo, the winner of the Pimlico Cup in 1948, and Chop Chop, a leading sire in Canada.

She was also the owner of the Vamarie, a two-masted trans-Atlantic sailing yacht that won races before she presented it to the United States Naval Academy. She was also an early airplane pilot and a tournament tennis player.

Mrs. Bryce was a cosmopolitan figure. She was the daughter of Princess Guido Pignatelli and Edward V. Hartford, who was an inventor and president of the Hartford Shock Absorber Company. She attended schools in New York and in Paris, where she also studied piano under Isador Philippe. She went on to become a concert pianist.

Her marriage in 1923 to Charles Oliver Oɽonnell ended in divorce, as did her marriage in 1931 to Vadim Makaroff and her marriage in 1936 to Barclay K. Douglas. She was married in 1950 to John F. C. Bryce. He died in 1985.


Mercy Brown

Another well-known figure in vampire lore is Mercy Brown. Perhaps one of the more tragic of tales, Brown is said to be one of the most notorious 'vampires' in history. She lived in Exeter, Rhode Island in the late 1800s. Similar to the Witch Trials of Salem, Massachusetts, there was a period of time when residents of New England believed that vampirism was also an evil disease, and the bodies of the undead would often be searched for what townspeople considered to by signs and symptoms.

Brown was one of many members of her immediate family who passed on around the same time, thus prompting an investigation into their deaths and the potential for vampirism. During this time, it was not uncommon for people to blame such a mass tragedy on one family member, thus citing vampirism as the cause. It was a combination of biology and coincidence that Brown died during the winter in New England and was also buried in an above-ground vault, which helped to preserve her body for far longer than the average burial. Therefore, when her body was exhumed and examined, it was determined that vampirism was the cause of such miraculous preservation. After she was accused, the townspeople cut out her heart and burned it - as was common practice for those suspected of vampirism - in order to prevent her from further 'cursing' her family from the grave.


Colonial America – Jost Hite – Shenandoah Pioneer

A native of Alsace, Germany, Hans Jost Heydt (also spelled Yost or Joist Hite) sailed from Strasburg to New York in 1710. Accounts vary, but popular history reports that he sailed in his own ships, The Brigantine Swift and Schooner Friendship and that he was a German nobleman with the title “Baron”. With Hite sailed his wife, Anna Marie (du Bois) and his daughter Mary. Sixteen families also sailed with him to settle his lands in the New World.

Hite and the German settlers remained in Kingston, New York until 1715. By 1717, records indicate that he had settled on the Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania. Hite enjoyed a prosperous life in Pennsylvania, establishing a mill in 1720 that came to be known as Pennypacker’s Mills. After increasingly menacing Indian activity in Pennsylvania, Hite and other community leaders petitioned Governor Gordon for protection against the Indians. After his petition was ignored by the Governor, Hite sold his Pennsylvania holdings in 1730 and traveled to the unsettled Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

In 1731, Hite bought forty thousand acres of land from John Van Meter that came to be known as “Hite’s Grant”. In October of that year, Hite teamed up with Robert McKoy (McCoy/McKay) and obtained another one hundred thousand acres from Virginia Governor Gooch. In the spring of 1731, Hite settled the area of what is now Shepherdstown, West Virginia, naming it New Mechlenburg. Hite’s eldest son, John, traveled further south down the Potomac river and settled on the Opequon Creed, calling his holdings Springdale. By the June of 1734, the council of Virginia declared that Jost Hite had settled his required number of families and was assigned the patents for his land, leading some to declare that he was the first white settler in the Shenandoah Valley (this has later been disproved as it has been documented that Adam Miller settled in the Valley as early as 1726 or 1727.)

In 1736, legal troubles began. Lord Fairfax arrived from England that same year to settle on his lands granted to him on Virginia’s Northern Neck. Some of this land was within the boundary of Hite’s land which has not been patented. Fairfax gave his word that the lands would be given to Hite but later reneged on his promise. This led to petitions and a legal battle that lasted for fifty years and was not resolved until both complainants had died. In the end, the decision was in Hite’s favor.

Both Hite and all of his immediate descendants became important figures in local and national affairs. Hite’s eldest daughter, Mary Hite, married George Bowman and their family accompanied Hite to the Shenandoah Valley. Elizabeth Hite married Paul Froman, a Quaker from New Jersey and lived in the Shenandoah Valley for several years before moving on to Kentucky. Magdelene Hite accompanied her husband, German-born Jacob Chrismann Spring to the Shenandoah. John Hite, as noted earlier, settled at Opequon Creek and built “Springdale” in 1753. He is credited with building the first brick house in the Valley in 1787. John Hite became a decorated veteran of the French and Indian Wars and has been highly regarded in histories of the Valley. Abraham Hite was only two years old when he traveled to the Shenandoah Valley with his family. He married the daughter of Isaac Van Meter and was a member of the Hampshire County House of Burgesses from 1746 until 1774. Jacob Hite made several trips for his father to Ireland to recruit immigrants to settle in the Valley. On one of these trips he met his wife in Dublin, Catherine O’Bannon and the couple settled with their family in Jefferson County, West Virginia. The family later moved to South Carolina where all but their son (who was attending William and Mary College) and one daughter were killed by Indians around 1777 or 1778. Isaac Hite, commonly referred to as “colonel” settled to the north branch of the Shenandoah River and built the home “Long Meadows”. His son, Isaac Hite Jr., married Nelly Conway Madison of Montpelier, Orange County, Virginia, the sister of President James Madison.

Jost Hite died in 1760 and the Hite family became influential figures throughout the northern and lower Valley. Their descendants can be found throughout the United States and gather often at Belle Grove, the home built by Isaac Hite Jr. south of Winchester, Virginia which became famous for the Battle of Cedar Creek during the Civil War.


9 Jure Grando

Jure Grando bears a unique distinction in that he was the first man in history to ever be officially labeled as a vampire. His case is likely the first fully documented case of vampirism in world history.

Grando lived in an Istrian village during the 17th century. At the time, Istria was primarily controlled by the Italian Republic of Venice, a major commercial empire. In the village of Kringa, Grando was nothing but an ordinary man. But when he died in 1656, Grando went from average to supernatural.

According to several villagers, Grando was seen walking through Kringa after death. Some even claimed that he knocked on doors during the night. Before long, Kringa natives were calling Grando a strigon, a type of wizard that was then common in Italian folklore. A strigon supposedly lived off of the blood of children during their lifetimes, then, in death, would knock on the doors and windows of those souls who were destined to die early.

Sixteen years after Grando's death, the village mayor, Miho Radetic, decided to rid Kringa of the strigon for good. Nine men in total descended on Grando grave, opened it up, and found the corpse fully intact. After prayers and a wooden stake through the stomach failed, one member of the party chopped off Grando's head with an ax. The blow caused a tidal wave of blood to pour out of the corpse. This proved to be the killing blow against the strigon.


The life and times of Josephine Hartford, Part I

Portrait of Josephine Hartford Bryce, 1950, by Salvador Dali.

A & P supermarkets, once amongst Americas largest retailers, and the Hartford family that founded the empire, are names that have largely slipped into oblivion in the 21st century. That the names may still ring a note of recognition is largely due to the peripatetic and intense life of George Huntington Hartford (1911-2008), grandson of the company’s founder, film and theater producer, real estate investor, businessman and art patron as the latter, G. Huntington Hartford, founded and erected the Gallery of Modern Art (1964) with architect Edward Durell Stone at 2 Columbus Circle, now face-lifted as the Museum of Art and Design. Hartford’s only sibling was an older sister Josephine Hartford who, in the early 20th century, was included in a much-discussed triumvirate of New York heiresses with Barbara Hutton and Doris Duke.

Seen featured together in this 1958 newspaper article (right), Miss Hartford’s post-deb life was significantly less documented than that of her peers. Josephine’s voluminous scrapbooks however now permit a short chronology of intervals in a momentous life.

Marie Josephine Hartford was born in New York in 1903, the daughter of Edward V. Hartford (1870-1922), a first generation heir to the A&P grocery store chain and an inventor, who perfected the automobile shock absorber and electric car ignition.

Her mother, nee Henrietta Guerard Pollitzer (1881-1948), was from an old Charleston, South Carolina family she is best remembered today in the South for her estate Wando Plantation and as an early Charleston preservation advocate, responsible for the rescue of the Manigault House.

Manigault House.

Here (left) we see Josephine, known as “Jo” or “Jo-Jo” with her mother and newborn baby brother Huntington Hartford in 1911. Shortly after her father’s death in 1922, the family would inherit a trust valued in excess of $100,000,000.00.

In 1923, Jo-Jo, her socially ambitious mother, and “Hunt”, as he was called, would begin summering in Newport. Mrs. Lorillard Spencer of “Chastellux” introduced the family to the summer colony. In 1927 Mrs. Hartford bought the former Commodore Elbridge Gerry summer cottage “Seaverge” at the end of Bellevue Avenue, next door to the Duke estate “Rough Point,” sparking rumors in the press that the “World’s Richest Girl,” Doris Duke, was dating the “Richest Boy in the World,” Huntington Hartford.

Doris’ press agent felt compelled to reply stating the two teenagers knew each other but that there was no affair … much to Mrs. Hartford’s chagrin.

In the late 19 teens and early 20s, Jo-Jo was emerging as a “Glamour Girl” and her movements and dress were widely covered in the press (this would continue in a more sedate fashion in later life) photographed frequently in her youth by Cecil Beaton (below, left), Jo would subsequently have portraits painted by Bernard Boutet de Monvel (below, center) in his Palm Beach studio, and more characteristic of her panache, by Salvador Dali (below, right).

Frequently described in the media as a pianist — having studied piano under Hungarian composer Isador Philip (below, left), in Paris — she also received credit as a linguist, from her cosmopolitan upbringing, and as an avid equestrienne and in later life, as a pilot, as seen in this article from her scrapbook (below, center). Jo’s art collection would become almost as extensive as her brother’s and included Old Masters, Impressionists, and avant-garde contemporary artists of the latter, perhaps her most famous painting was Picasso’s Les Communicants (below, right).

In 1923 Jo-Jo married the first — and most conventional — of her four husbands Charles Oliver O’Donnell (1899-1941), a Baltimore utilities and railroad (B&O) heir and Newport summer colonist (that’s Jo and C. Oliver at Bailey’s, below left). They were married at St. Gertrude’s Church in Bayville, Long Island. Jo-Jo took a picture of the church’s flower bedecked altar and placed it within her scrapbook within a sketched bell-shaped cartouche accompanied by pictures in her wedding dress and on their honeymoon cruise to Europe and Asia.

Upon returning Stateside, the couple settled into a sprawling apartment at 1010 Fifth Avenue across from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, “Mill River Farm,” an equestrian estate in Oyster Bay, and leased Newport summer cottages beginning with “Gravel Court” on Narragansett Avenue where we see her (below, left) in a newspaper clipping in 1927. In 1924 Jo-Jo gave birth to the first of her two children: Nuala O’Donnell (1924-2014), who would subsequently become Mrs. Claiborne deB Pell, followed by a brother Columbus (1926-2020).

L. to r.: Jo-Jo on Narragansett Avenue in 1927 Jo-Jo’s eldest daughter Nuala O’Donnell and her eldest son Columbus.

After settling into married life in the City, one of the many New York charities that Jo supported was the Beaux Arts Ball, held annually to benefit preservation projects, an inclination likely inspired by her mother’s interest in Historic Charleston.

Here we see Jo-Jo in three photos in costume at various Beaux Arts Balls of the 1920s, one as Diana the Huntress, another as Empress Josephine, and one as a Middle Eastern dancer.

With the dawn of the 1930s, a new chapter was opening for Jo as she divorced her first husband and started a new life in 1931 with Vadim S. Makaroff (1892-1964), a White Russian businessman described in the press as a Russian caviar importer (below, left). That same year, younger brother Huntington, foiling his mother’s hopes for an engagement with girl-next-door Doris, married Mary Lee Epling three years before his graduation from Harvard. Mary Lee Hartford would divorce Huntington in 1939 to marry Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Jo-Jo and Vadim were, in turn, married in the Greek Orthodox Church in Nice, seen here (below, center) in a photograph of the couple leaving just after the wedding (below, right). With Vadim, Jo would go on some of the most creative chapters of her life, beginning with a boat and ending with two major houses.

Almost immediately after their marriage, Vadim sought to express his love of the sea by building his dream yacht, a 75-foot ketch that the couple would christen Vamarie (below, left). Design and construction of the boat began in 1932 and was completed in 1933 at Bremen by Abeking and Rasmussen. Jo recorded the progress in her scrapbook here we see a couple of those images (below, right).

Vadim was the son of Admiral Malakoff, a hero of the Imperial Navy in the Russo-Japanese War. Like his father, he graduated from the Imperial Russian Naval Academy in St. Petersburg. Here we see him at the helm of the Vamarie together with a newspaper clipping from Jo’s scrapbook of Makaroff and the crew setting a new record-breaking run from New London to Bermuda in 74 hours.

Vadim brought out Jo’s athletic side as well and they spent their three-month honeymoon skiing in St. Anton, Switzerland joined by different friends including Marjorie Oelrichs. Marjorie was the niece of Tessie Fair Oelrichs of “Rosecliff” in Newport and would later marry bandleader Eddie Duchin.

Marjorie Oelrichs on the slopes.

In 1932, Marjorie was just 24 years old and eagerly embarking on a decorating career Jo was anxious to help and became, with the Averell Harrimans at Sun Valley, one of her best clients. Similar to the Sun Valley Lodge project, Marjorie was called on by Jo and Vadim, enamored with Alpine skiing, to design a ski lodge at Mont Gabriel in Quebec’s Laurentian Mountains and a subsequent, more remote, lodge at Lake Tahoe, NV.

Here we see the Lake Tahoe lodge under construction overlooking Crystal Bay (below, left) and the finished product (below, right). Marjorie created the lodge’s interiors and we see her on site in Lake Tahoe with Vadim inspecting the works in a photo taken by Jo (bottom, left). Jo especially loved the rustic mantel Marjorie created of colored stones indigenous to California and Nevada (bottom, right).

This project would lead to Jo’s most architecturally significant house, “The Reef” in Palm Beach, situated on one the most picturesque and desirable lots in the resort on 702 North County Road. The Reef was designed by architect Maurice Fatio for Jo Makaroff in 1936 with interiors again by Marjorie Oelrichs.

This International Moderne style villa (left) was highly original for 1936 Palm Beach, then still in the throes of its Mizner influenced Mediterranean Revival villas. Within one of Jo’s scrapbooks are multiple photographs of The Reef under construction, and several interiors created by Marjorie Oelrichs: a bamboo-lined dining room and the living room with its custom modular furniture arranged before a 30 foot window with panoramic ocean views two further views show the Marjorie Oelrichs designed outdoor pool area.

The house would win several design awards including a Gold Medal at The Paris International Exposition as “the most modern house in America.” The Reef however would not long hold happy memories for Jo, as shortly after its completion she and Makaroff would divorce. Adding further sadness to this association was the unexpected death of dear friend Marjorie Oelrichs at the age of 29, a few days after the 1937 birth of her son Peter Duchin.

Top row: Two views of The Reef under construction. Middle row, l. to r.: a bamboo-lined dining room the living room with panoramic ocean views. Bottom row: Two views of the Marjorie Oelrichs designed outdoor pool area.

In one of their last acts as a married couple Jo and Vadim, planning their divorce settlement, presented the Vamarie in late 1936 to the United States Naval Academy. Here we see the couple at the presentation ceremony (left). In the interim, likely inspired by his sister, Huntington Hartford compensated and bought the fully-rigged iron-hulled sailing ship Joseph Conrad in 1936 which he used as a private yacht out of Newport until donating the square-rigger in 1939 to the Maritime Commission as a training ship.

While Vadim would go on to marry Elizabeth Harding, the former Mrs. Frederick H. Prince, Jr. of Newport, later Mrs. Eugene V. R. Thayer, Jo would marry her third husband stockbroker and sportsman Barclay Kountze Douglas (1911-1991) on March 31, 1937 in Tallahassee, Florida.

Interestingly, Douglas had served on the crew of the Vamarie as seen in this photo below. As Mrs. Barclay Douglas, Jo would finalize the sale of The Reef. The illustrated sales brochure stated the estate had recently been built at a cost of $400,000.00 and was being offered for sale for $275,000.00, furnished.

L. to r.: Barclay Kountze Douglas Douglas serving on the crew of the Vamarie, pictured second from left.


Watch the video: Winx Club Growing up Compilation