(ScStGbt: t. 655; 1. 180'; b. 29'; dr. 12'10"; s. 11.5 k. a 8 May 1861 1 9", 2 32-pdrs. )
The first Monticello, a wooden screw-steamer was built at Mystic, Conn., in 1859; chartered by the Navy in May 1861; and purchased 12 September 1861 at New York from H. P. Cromwell & Co., for service in the Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Capt. Henry Eagle in command.
Monticello was renamed Star 3 May 1861, but resumed her original name 23 May. Seeing immediate action, Monticello relieved Baltimore in blockading the James River and preventing communication with the Elizabeth River 2 May, then relieved Quaker City at Cape Henry the 8th. She engaged the batteries at Sewell's Point 10 to 14 May, then continued blockade duty until steaming up the Rappahannock to Smith's Island 24 June. Operating with the Army on the James River above Newport News 5 July, she dispersed a body of Confederate cavalry. Often engaging Confederate batteries through the remainder of 1861 she was in the squadron that captured the batteries at Hatteras Inlet 28 and 29 August in the first significant Union victory, one which greatly encouraged the North. She drove off Confederates attacking Union soldiers in that area 5 October.
Departing Baltimore 25 March 1882 for the blockade of Wilmington, N.C., Monticello sent a boat party to the expedition up Little River 28 June that destroyed two schooners. She engaged the batteries at New Inlet 12 July, and took British schooner Revere of Wilmington 21 October. After relieving Genessee on blockade at Shallow Inlet 15 November, Monticello destroyed British schooners Ariel and A nn there the 24th.
Monticello operated around Little River through 1863, taking British schooner Sun 30 March, and steamer Old Fellow 15 April. She joined the expedition to Murrell's Inlet 25 April, and shelled a schooner there 12 May with Conemaugh. In November she destroyed salt works near Little River Inlet.
Returning to the Wilmington blockade in January 1864, she joined in the expedition to Smithville 29 February capturing Captain Kelly of General Hobert's star. In July she joined in the chase after CSS Florida, and 24 August attacked Confederate batteries at Masonboro Inlet.
JMonticello participated in the attacks on Fort Fisher 24 and 25 December and 13 and 14 January 1865. She took the surrender of Fort Casswell 18 and 19 January, then participated in the Little River expedition of 4 to 6 February.
After the war, Monticello decommissioned 24 July 1865 at Portsmouth, N.H., and was sold at public auction at Boston to W. H. Lincoln 1 November 1865. Re documented for merchant service 25 July 1866, she served American commerce until foundering oft Newfoundland 29 April 1872.
William HARPER, Congress, SC (1790-1847)
HARPER William , a Senator from South Carolina born on the island of Antigua, West Indies, January 17, 1790 immigrated to the United States with his parents, who settled in Charleston, and later in Columbia, S.C., in the 1790s attended the common schools, Mount Bethel Academy, and Jefferson Monticello Seminary graduated from South Carolina College (now the University of South Carolina) at Columbia in 1808 studied medicine for a time in Charleston and later studied law admitted to the bar in 1813 and commenced the practice of law in Columbia trustee of South Carolina College in 1813 member, State house of representatives 1816-1817 moved to Missouri in 1818 chancellor of the State of Missouri 1819-1823 member of the State constitutional convention in 1821 returned to Columbia, S.C., in 1823 reporter of the State supreme court 1823-1825 appointed as a Jacksonian to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the death of John Gaillard and served from March 8 to November 29, 1826, when a successor was elected practiced law in Charleston member, State house of representatives 1827-1828, serving as speaker chancellor of the State of South Carolina 1828-1830 returned to Columbia, S.C. appointed judge of the court of appeals 1830-1835 member of the State convention in 1832 and 1833 (known as the Nullification Convention) again chancellor of the State from 1835 until his death in Fairfield District, S.C., October 10, 1847 interment in Means Family Burial Ground, Fairfield County, S.C.
History of the Museum
The Monticello Railway Museum is a not-for-profit educational organization founded in 1966 as "SPUR" Society for the Perpetuation of Unretired Railfans. SPUR’s goal at that time was to maintain and operate steam powered passenger train excursions. In 1969 the name was changed to the Monticello & Sangamon Valley Railroad Historical Society, Inc., and then, in 1982, the name was again changed to Monticello Railway Museum (MRM) which stands to this day.
Visitors in 1972 enjoy a train ride and a tour around Camp Creek Yard
MRM’s first purchase was five miles of former Illinois Terminal right of way between the towns of Monticello and White Heath. Track had to be laid as this right of way only had ballast in place. After some form of mainline was secure, the organization needed a yard for storage and restoration projects. Thus, a popcorn field was purchased and turned into the now Camp Creek Yard. The volunteers prepared the yard area for the arrival of Locomotive #1, an 0-4-0 steam engine and the first locomotive acquired by MRM. In the following years, track was laid to the north on the former Illinois Terminal right of way towards White Heath, culminating in about two miles of mainline track on which to run our trains. At the northern end, also known as Blacker’s, a run-around track was installed so engines could move to the other end of the train, hence always be pulling the train. From the Museum’s beginnings, and up to 1987, equipment that was acquired and was moved on it’s own wheels had to be delivered to the Museum by what was called a “straight rail”. Arriving on site, the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad would unbolt their tracks, and move them to connect to MRM track as the Museum could not afford to have a switch installed in the Illinois Central Gulf track. Once the equipment was delivered, the tracks were moved back and bolted up.
In 1987, MRM purchased seven miles of mainline track from the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad between Monticello and White Heath. This mainline parallels the Terminal Division from Camp Creek Yard to White Heath. In the following weeks, a permanent crossover track was installed between the Terminal Division and the former ICG track. The then newly acquired locomotive ALCO RS-3 #301 led the first passenger train into downtown Monticello. This train was followed by switching locomotive Davenport #44, and then 0-4-0 steam locomotive #1. The former ICG track became the Central Division.
The Museum’s Central Division began life on February 21st, 1861, when the Monticello Railroad Company was chartered. Construction began in 1863, and was completed in the early 1870’s. In June 1872, the Monticello Railroad Company consolidated with the Havana, Mason City, Lincoln & Eastern Railroad. That same day, there was a consolidation with the Indianapolis, Bloomington, & Western Railway and it became known as the Extension Railway.
Jefferson's Birthday officially honors the birth of the third U.S. president, Thomas Jefferson on April 13, 1743.  This day was recognized by Franklin D. Roosevelt as part of Presidential Proclamation 2276, issued on March 21, 1938. 
|Observed by||United States|
|Next time||April 13, 2022 ( 2022-04-13 )|
More recently, President George W. Bush issued proclamation 8124 on April 11, 2007, stating that ". on Thomas Jefferson Day, we commemorate the birthday of a monumental figure whose place in our Nation’s history will always be cherished". 
In 1829, the first settlers arrived in Monticello and located on the west bank of the Tippecanoe River. Friendly Potawatomie Indians greeted the settlers. These Native Americans raised corn, pumpkins, squash and potatoes.
It was rich soil that originally drew settlers who came mostly from Virginia, New York, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Ohio. In addition to Native American crops, they added oats, wheat and clover to the agricultural mix.
In 1834, the Indiana legislature created a new county named for Colonel Isaac White, a hero in the Battle of Tippecanoe. White County Commissioners selected a location for the county seat on the west bank of the Tippecanoe River. They named the city Monticello in honor of President Thomas Jefferson&rsquos home.
In 1849, the Monticello Hydraulic Company was formed. It built a dam across the Tippecanoe River and the first industrial effort was the construction of a gristmill. A sawmill, a woolen mill and furniture factory soon added to the economic landscape.
In 1854, the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railway laid track in White County and the population grew. New settlers came from Germany, Ireland and Scotland, seeking the promise of freedom and a new life in this rich agricultural and industrial environment.
In 1894, the cornerstone for a third White County Courthouse was laid. A year later, a new Bedford Limestone building dominated the center of Monticello. The courthouse had a clock tower that reached skyward for at least eight stories. This lovely landmark stood center stage for nearly 80 years. In 1909, Monticello became an incorporated city. Its first mayor was Thomas O&rsquoConnor, who built the historic stone mansion on Bluff Street.
In the 1920s two events occurred that changed the character of Monticello. In 1923, Norway Dam, north of Monticello, was completed creating Lake Shafer. Two years later, Oakdale Dam, a few miles south of the city, was built and created Lake Freeman. These two meandering lakes established Monticello as a major tourism area.
On Wednesday, April 3, 1974, a devastating tornado swept through Monticello. The tornado destroyed everything in its path, including schools, homes, many downtown buildings and the beloved historic courthouse.
In 2014, city and county officials remodeled areas around the courthouse, focusing on Constitution Plaza. Memorial brick pavers and a county map are two of the features on the new plaza.
According to the 2010 census, Monticello has a total area of 3.686 square miles (9.55 km 2 ), of which 3.47 square miles (8.99 km 2 ) (or 94.14%) is land and 0.216 square miles (0.56 km 2 ) (or 5.86%) is water. 
|U.S. Decennial Census |
2010 census Edit
At the 2010 census there were 5,378 people, 2,179 households, and 1,319 families living in the city. The population density was 1,549.9 inhabitants per square mile (598.4/km 2 ). There were 2,457 housing units at an average density of 708.1 per square mile (273.4/km 2 ). The racial makup of the city was 90.8% White or European American, 0.4% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.8% Asian, 5.5% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.5%. 
Of the 2,179 households 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.6% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.5% were non-families. 34.6% of households were one person and 18.1% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.99.
The median age was 40.4 years. 24% of residents were under the age of 18 8.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24 23.1% were from 25 to 44 23.6% were from 45 to 64 and 21.1% were 65 or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.3% male and 52.7% female.
2000 census Edit
At the 2000 census there were 5,723 people, 2,268 households, and 1,417 families living in the city. The population density was 2,047.9 people per square mile (792.0/km 2 ). There were 2,414 housing units at an average density of 863.8 per square mile (334.1/km 2 ). The racial makup of the city was 91.39% White, 0.28% African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.59% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 5.96% from other races, and 1.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.22%. 
Of the 2,268 households 29.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.2% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.5% were non-families. 32.2% of households were one person and 16.5% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 3.04.
The age distribution was 24.3% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 21.1% from 45 to 64, and 18.9% 65 or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.5 males.
The median household income was $35,537 and the median family income was $42,831. Males had a median income of $30,478 versus $19,511 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,066. About 4.8% of families and 8.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.3% of those under age 18 and 9.7% of those age 65 or over.
Monticello was laid out in 1834 as the county seat,  with a post office established that year, and is still currently in operation.  The city was named after President Thomas Jefferson's estate in Virginia. 
Monticello, Indiana sustained serious damage by a tornado on April 3, 1974, part of the 1974 Super Outbreak that caused death and destruction across the midwest and south.  The aftermath of this storm is recorded in the Herald Journal's book, Killer Tornado. The tornado was rated F4 on the Fujita scale. This storm killed eight people and was part of tornado family that killed 18, causing an estimated $100 million in damage.  In the immediate aftermath of the storm, news outlets reported three hundred deaths across the United States and the creation of temporary morgues.  The local paper said the aftermath was similar to a World War II bombing.
On September 2, 2005, Jordan Manufacturing burned down. The company manufactured outdoor furniture such as folding chairs, umbrellas, and seat cushions. Due to the materials used in making these products, four city blocks were contaminated with toxins. The blaze was large enough to require firefighters from seven surrounding communities to battle it and needed approximately "3000 gallons of water per minute for the first three hours of the blaze."  While such a fire might not be a big event for a larger city, it had a profound impact on Monticello, as Jordan Manufacturing was one of the few manufacturing plants left in the city after a recession in the 2000s.
Twin Lakes School Corporation is the school system in Monticello. The Schools are Eastlawn (elementary), Oaklawn (elementary), Meadowlawn (elementary), Roosevelt Middle School, and Twin Lakes High School. Woodlawn Elementary School was previously part of the district until it was closed in 2013. 
The High School was heavily damaged by the 1974 tornado and had to be rebuilt. Students resumed classes in local churches and then in portable units erected near the location of the high school until reconstruction could be completed.
The town has a lending library, the Monticello-Union Township Public Library. 
Monticello's location between Lakes Shafer and Freeman and the proximity of Indiana Beach allow for a thriving tourism industry that plays a significant role in the city's economy. Although recreational options are geared primarily towards summer activities, the lakes are used throughout the year for fishing. Golfing and boating are available as three season sports. Additionally, Monticello has areas for cross country skiing, snowmobiling and ice skating in the winter.
Monticello is home to one of the few surviving drive-in movie theaters in Indiana, the Lake Shore Drive-In. It has two movie screens playing (in total) 4 movies a night during the spring and summer months in Monticello. On Sunday mornings, a Methodist church service is offered.
The lakes and campgrounds are popular tourist destinations, but the most well-known was Indiana Beach, an amusement park on Lake Shafer.
The Madam Carroll, docked on Lake Freeman, offers scenic lake cruises with live entertainment. Dinner cruises are also held on certain dates.  On February 18, 2020, it was announced that Apex Parks Group, the owners of Indiana Beach since acquiring it in 2015, would be closing the park and dismantling the rides. Indiana Beach has a new owner, and is going to remain open.
Augusta Heights Baptist Church
3018 Augusta Street
Greenville, SC 29605
We are a group of people who want to serve our community, welcome all people into fellowship, and join with others in worship, missions, and ministry. We want to love Christ, and we do that best when we love people.
First Baptist Greenville
847 Cleveland Street
Greenville, SC 29601
We are a community of believers in God as revealed in Jesus Christ as Lord. We believe in the authority of the Bible, the equality of all members, unity in diversity, and the priesthood of all believers. In communion with and through the power of the Holy Spirit, we follow the Way of Jesus the Christ and share the Good News through worship, education, ministries, and missions.
In all facets of the life and ministry of our church, including but not limited to membership, baptism, ordination, marriage, teaching and committee/organizational leadership, First Baptist Greenville will not discriminate based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
New Day Christian Community Church
101 South Line Street
Greer, SC 29651
New Day Christian Community Church exists to provide a diverse, open and affirming Christian community to all who desire a discipleship walk with Jesus Christ by offering challenging worship experiences, mission based service opportunities and Biblical learning so that we are empowered to reach out to others, introduce them to the love and strength of the beloved community and invite them to join the faith journey of discipleship.
Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
1002 South Main Street
Greenville, SC 29601
Saint Andrew’s is an Episcopal Church situated in the vibrant West End district of downtown Greenville, where we gather to worship in the distinctive splendor of Anglo-Catholic tradition, to witness to the life changing implications of Jesus Christ’s reconciling love, and to welcome unreservedly all God’s children into Christ’s Body, the Church.
Temple of Israel
400 Spring Forest Road
Greenville, SC 29615
The mission of the Temple of Israel is to be recognized as the spiritual, educational, ritual, and social center for Reform Judaism in the Greenville area to perpetuate Reform Judaism and its principles of justice, compassion and righteousness to cultivate an appreciation of the Jewish heritage and to serve as a focus of dialogue between Reform Jews and other Jewish and non-Jewish local and world communities. The Reform movement has long been an advocate for full inclusion of gays and lesbians in our community, and we have made clear that those policies extend to trans and non-binary/genderqueer people in a 2015 resolution.
Trinity Lutheran Church
421 North Main Street
Greenville, SC 29601
Everyone without exception is welcome at the table of God's love and grace. We celebrate people of all races, cultures, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, physical or mental abilities, socioeconomic statuses, appearances, family status and citizenship as equally loved and valued in the eyes of God.
Unitarian Universalist Church of Greenville
1135 State Park Road
Greenville, SC 29609
The Greenville Unitarian Universalist Fellowship welcomes seekers to give voice to a faith that is rational, responsible and relevant to our real lives. We aspire to be a community where reason and love unite, in service to the spirit of life. Wherever you are in your spiritual journey, you are welcome here.
2310 Augusta Street
Greenville, SC 29605
Westminster Presbyterian Church, a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), is a community of faith dedicated to enhancing the spiritual lives of our members and addressing the needs of the surrounding communities and the world. As a Presbyterian Church in Greenville, we strive to be a caring, inclusive family of faith, demonstrating the grace and love of Jesus Christ locally and throughout the world.
Monticello ScStGbt - History
Thomas Jefferson (was the architect)
Brick, glass, stone, and wood
Marble Greek looking portico goes into a crucifix-like building
There is a dome in the middle (closer to the entrance), but it is not massive
There is marble fencing around the roof → assuming that it goes all the way around
Long, rectangular windows are on the walls
Everything is symmetrical around the central axis line of the door (vertical axis)
The building is meant to live in
By helping to introduce classical architecture to the United States, Jefferson intended to reinforce the ideals behind the classical past: democracy, education, rationality, civic responsibility
Took inspiration from Classical and Neoclassical buildings in France when he was ambassador
Remodeled the original two-story pavilion based on the Hôtel de Salm in Paris
symmetrical single-story brick home under an austere Doric entablature
two-column deep extended portico contains Doric columns that support a triangular pediment that is decorated by a semicircular window
balustrade (the fence thing on the roof) that circles the roofline provides a powerful sense of horizontality
Classical European Structure = basilica plan
Transept = intersects like gothic church
Steps = ancient Etruscan temples
Gardens = French imitation
Studied at William and Mary → was interested in the campus’s architecture
But he was never formally trained as an artist
Jefferson hated Britain, so he tried to stay as far away from British architecture as possible
He was a Francophile → so he loved France
Y’all its basically anything Greek or Roman
Pantheon → the portico leading into the building leading into the dome
Or any place that was meant for living → Machu Picchu, Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings
Monticello Genealogy (in Piatt County, IL)
NOTE: Additional records that apply to Monticello are also found through the Piatt County and Illinois pages.
Monticello Birth Records
Monticello Cemetery Records
Monticello Cemetery Billion Graves
Monticello Census Records
Federal Census of 1940, Monticello Township, Illinois LDS Genealogy
United States Federal Census, 1790-1940 Family Search
Monticello Church Records
Monticello Death Records
Monticello Histories and Genealogies
Monticello Immigration Records
Monticello Land Records
Monticello Map Records
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Monticello, Piatt County, Illinois, April 1887 Library of Congress
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Monticello, Piatt County, Illinois, December 1915 Library of Congress
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Monticello, Piatt County, Illinois, February 1893 Library of Congress
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Monticello, Piatt County, Illinois, January 1899 Library of Congress
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Monticello, Piatt County, Illinois, June 1909 Library of Congress
Monticello Marriage Records
Monticello Newspapers and Obituaries
Bull Moose 1912-1912 Newspapers.com
Offline Newspapers for Monticello
According to the US Newspaper Directory, the following newspapers were printed, so there may be paper or microfilm copies available. For more information on how to locate offline newspapers, see our article on Locating Offline Newspapers.
Conservative. (Monticello, Ill.) 1860s-1860s
Monticello Bulletin. (Monticello, Piatt Co'ty, Ill.) 1876-1936
Monticello Times. (Monticello, Ills. [Ill.]) 1856-1840s
Piatt County Conservative. (Monticello, Ill.) 1860-1860s
Piatt County Herald. (Monticello, Ill.) 1874-1892
Piatt County Journal-Republican. (Monticello, Ill.) 1967-Current
Piatt County Journal. (Monticello, Ill.) 1936-1967
Piatt County Republican. (Monticello, Ill.) 1892-1967
Piatt Independent. (Monticello, Ill.) 1865-1874
Piatt Independent. (Monticello, Ill.) 1887-1892
Monticello Probate Records
Monticello School Records
Additions or corrections to this page? We welcome your suggestions through our Contact Us page
Jefferson’s vision restored
The foundation—now known as the Thomas Jefferson Foundation—restored the house and grounds, brought back many of the original furnishings, recreated the gardens as Jefferson had designed them, and reacquired hundreds of acres of land that Jefferson had once owned. The estate of Monticello now includes Jefferson’s home and interior furnishings, orchard, vineyard, flower and vegetable gardens, and plantation covering some 2,500 acres (1,012 hectares). In 1994 the foundation established the Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies, which includes an archaeology department that conducts fieldwork throughout the Monticello grounds. Large visitor and education centres opened in 2009. Monticello today functions as a museum and is a major tourist attraction.