History of Wilmington, Delaware

History of Wilmington, Delaware

Wilmington is the largest city in Delaware and the county seat of New Castle County. The Old Town Hall, built between 1798 and 1800, is now owned and maintained by the Historical Society of Delaware. The society also operates the Delaware History Center nearby.The borough of Wilmington was officially granted a city charter in 1832. The Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad arrived in 1837. The economy got a further boost during the Civil War, owing to the heavy demand of ships, railroad cars, gunpowder, shoes, tents, uniforms, blankets and other war materials. Delaware Avenue saw many mansions built during this period.The late nineteenth century saw the establishment of an extensive park system, largely due to the efforts of William Bancroft, whose concern for the preservation of open green spaces inspired him to donate land and money for the development of parks. Rockford Park and Brandywine Park are among his contributions to the city.Wilmington has benefited over the years from the laws of Delaware, which favor corporate management. It is the official headquarters of many corporations that otherwise do little or no business in the state.Wilmington College has grown rapidly since its founding in 1968 and now has campuses throughout the state. Goldey-Beacom College, a private co-educational college founded in 1886, has its campus in a suburb of Wilmington. Wiedner University, based in Chester, Pennsylvania, has a branch campus in Wilmington.Hagley Museum and Library preserves and collects information about American business and technology. The Delaware Art Museum is located in a residential area of fine homes. The collection at the Biggs Museum of American Art includes pieces that are 200 years old and which clearly depict the evolution of American art from colonial portraiture to impressionism to 20th-century traditional realism.Established in 1924 by the Sisters of St. Francis is Delaware's only Catholic hospital. The Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is located on 300 acres of parkland outside of Wilmington.


Watch the video: History Matters: Wilmingtons Southbridge neighborhood